Drill Bits Sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BillyBoy63

Hello Everyone
I have a question about drill bits
if you have a 27/64 drill bit what would be the equivalent or the same size in mm's
I guess I'm going to have invest in a good pair of calipers
thanks
BillyBoy63

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wce274

Hello Everyone

if you have a 27/64 drill bit what would be the equivalent or the same size in mm's

thanks

BillyBoy63

6714fe7b499f878ff9d90b801a6910c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

gtriever

If you go to the Starrett website, you can order free literature, too. I got a set of pocket cards showing the equivalents, and a giant wall poster from them. Very handy to have.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you are mathematically inclined, 27/64 converts to .421875. that is the equivalent in decimal. Multiply that by 25.4 (mm in an inch) and you get 10.715625 mm.

While this is not as easy as reading a chart, I often don't HAVE the chart, but my phone does have a calculator.

FWIW,
Ed

randyrls

William; I have often found that the drill bit specified is the "nearest commonly available" drill bit for the tube, not necessarily the best fit for the tube. I have a complete set of fractional, letter, and number bits and a metric set too. When I do a new kit, I start with an undersized bit and sneak up on the correct size using my drill bit chart. i want a close sliding fit with no play. After I find the correct bit, write down the size on the instructions and it goes in my folder for that pen kit.

Hope this helps....

KenV

Drilling for pen tuubes is like horse shoes game. - close counts.

Prices for available low volume drill bits like a 10.7mm or 10.75mm bits is very high. Amazon had prices around $30 for a bit.

Use calipers on the outside of the tube as a starting point for the somewhere close choices.

fernhills

I use the charts and a plastic hole template. The template lets me see how tight or loose the bit is by inserting the actual bit through the hole. Carl

Rifleman1776

Hello Everyone
thanks
BillyBoy63

Grizzly tools sells a pocket reference book that has table and charts for almost everything. Or, you can just Google the question.

bmachin

Another thing to keep in mind is that the hole size that you get is very often material dependent. Alumilite, for example will almost always spring back somewhat after machining, although it may take a little bit of time.

I don't know if it's still available, but there used to be a chart basically identical to the one that Mal linked to available as an iPhone app.

Regarding KenV's comment, "Close counts", I couldn't agree more except when you're cutting a cap thread with a .8mm pitch; then that horseshoe had better be a leaner. Victornet sells metric bits from 10.1mm to 13.5mm in .1mm increments for $4.20 to $8.90 depending on size. Not cheap, probably Chinese, but sometimes you need the precision unless you have a boring bar which is probably a better alternative anyway.

My $.02
Bill

Top Bottom