Drill Bits for larger kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

candy1land

I am starting to do much more of the larger kits, Majestic, Statesman, Gent etc...

And I'm using drill bits I received from PSI in their starter packs. I am finding that they blow out the bottom of the blank in the pen vise while I'm drilling them and I'm not sure if it's because they are not quality drill bits or if I should just not drill all the way through and cut the end off with my bandsaw.

Are there higher quality larger drill bits out there I should consider or a different method I should use instead? I've looked at the Colt Drill bits but they don't make 10.5 and 12.5 which is what some of the larger kits are calling for?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Candy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

I find that happens with normal drill bits. If you can find brad-point bits the problem goes away. Brad-points are harder to find in larger bit sizes. If you need to drill with a regular bit, cut the blank long. Set the drill stop to end the hole before the drill exits the wood, then cut the end off on the band saw to open up the drilled hole.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=42247&cat=1,180,42240

Troy Cleckler

Hi Candy, not an expert by no means but here's my 2c worth. You say it's blowing out the bottom of the blank. I'm assuming you are on a drill press. Are you drilling in one pass or are you raising the bit to clear the shavings? The larger bits can create a lot of heat if the shavings are packing in. Also are you using a backer board, scrap wood at the bottom of the blank. This will support the end grain and you'll have a smooth exit hole. This may be elementry but you didn't explain your procedure so wasn't sure exactly how you were drilling your material.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Candy, you will get many differing answers for this, but I think that if you can afford to cut off the end and not drill all the way through then you should be fine. Esp for large bits. Is your vise clamped down?
Can you round the blank then drill on the lathe?
I don't use a pilot and I drill pretty fast but with a slow feed.

leestoresund

larger bit blowout

I too have had that problem and all of the other suggestions have minimized the blowouts.
Recently I have been using the 4 jaw chuck on my lathe and the drill chuck in the tailstock.
I round over the stock on my router table, a la JR Beall's video, and so far it is batting 100% for successful drills.
This is with the 27/64 drill bit supplied by PSI.
I did the same bit with the same wood in my pen vise and drill press. It blew out.
I also have an additional problem with my Woodcraft pen vise. It moves slightly and I can not get it to not move so all of my pieces are slightly off center at the exit end.

Lee

candy1land

I am using this pen vise and my Delta Drill Press. I am not putting a piece of wood underneath the blank as suggested. I will definitely try that.

I have stopped short and cut off ends of acrylic because I've blown out so many - even the rounded acrylic blanks - from the bit coming out the end.

I also noticed that if I don't put enough of the blank in the vise it moves.

I do not make only one pass with the drill bit - I go in and out to remove the shavings.

Attachments

• 148457_230.jpg
    148457_230.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 138

candy1land

Candy, you will get many differing answers for this, but I think that if you can afford to cut off the end and not drill all the way through then you should be fine. Esp for large bits. Is your vise clamped down?
Can you round the blank then drill on the lathe?
I don't use a pilot and I drill pretty fast but with a slow feed.

The pen vise I use (shown in my other post) is clamped down - but it does and will move if I don't hold it in place.

I cannot round my blanks - and I do not have the equipment to drill on the lathe yet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Candy,

The equipment you have is fine. Just stop short of drilling through the blank. Then cut off the end.

Also, if you bit is getting hot, so is your blank. Usually not a problem if you are only drilling one pen, but if you drill a few at a time, you are looking for problems.

Many ways to overcome this, but a coffee break is the easiest.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom