Drill bits for Atrax kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DLGunn

I just got my first Atrax kits (thanks Ed) this week. The kits call for 12.5mm and 10.5mm bits. I did a search here and read you could use 1/2" and 27/64" bits instead, which are .02mm bigger. I have the standard bits but not the metric. I drilled a 1/2" hole on a scrap piece. Then I put the tube in and the fit seems a little too loose to me. I am drilling on the lathe and there is no runout. All other holes I drill for the tubes come out great.

Is the fact that the bit .02mm too big a big deal, or I am worried for nothing? I am not opposed to getting the metric bits, but don't want to if I don't have to. What say you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I say get the right bits You will use them again and again Very common size for capped pens

For the time being, you can use epoxy to fill the gap or gorilla glue Or even thick ca

DLGunn

Thanks guys, I will go ahead and order the correct bits. I am not in a rush to make the Atrax pens, so I can wait for them to be delivered.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Actually a 1/2" and 27/64" bit are 0.2 mm larger than the recommended size. If they were only 0.02mm larger, it wouldn't matter but 0.2 is a little loose.

The proper alternates to 12.5 & 10.5 bits would be 0.492" and Z (less than 0.01mm error in each case), but most of us wouldn't normally have those on hand either.

Top Bottom