Drill Bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The "Pen Turners drill bits." I must know, are they all that special or will any drill bit at the size of 7mm, a, b, or 25/64th an inch suffice? Im rather tired of dishing out a large amount of money on the the "pen turners drill bits" if I can buy a large set of bits for less than it would take to buy all the bits and be set for life.

Thanks,
Michael Russell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

I own a large set of drill bits and my pens still write. I don't even look up what size bit I'm supposed to use anymore, I just measure the tube and drill with the closest size.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
if it will drill a hole it will work

Some of the sizes are hard to find but generally speaking if you have a good set of drill bits that you keep sharp they will work just fine...Sizes larger than 1/2" are not included in most sets and they are expensive wherever you buy them.

KenV

with tools, you have a tendency to get what you pay for -- I do tend to pay the $$$ and get the premium bits -- Norseman, Colt are good ones. Then take good care of them and do not use them for anything and every thing.

Kind of like files --- if you want a good file to work brass or bronze do not use it on steel. It will not work nearly as well as the teeth loose a bit of edge.

Do I have the $10 for a full set by 64th and letters and numbers -- sure -- but use them for the junk jobs and not for an expensive piece of pen blank.

Oh -- and with really good drill bits I seldom blow up a blank - and seldom have a problem with drilling results.

(and the really good bits do not seem to be in the packages from PSI)

(But I did get a colt bit with a package from CUSA -- very good bit)

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Buy a cheap set and deal with the results. If "close is good enough" you will be all set. You can do wonders with a cheap set. I once was given a HF type set of all three types, Fractional, Letter, Number, as a gift. Several of them were the same size even though they were not supposed to be. (I gave them away)Cheaper drills may mean you have to work harder at making them do what you need to do. A good set of Drill bits will have other uses outside of penmaking.

kovalcik

I have a little different approach. I start with a cheaper set. If I find myself using a bit more than a few times, I replace that one bit with a quality one. That way I have access to the whole range of sizes, but the bits I use the most are good quality and I am not paying a lot for bits I rarely use.

Top Bottom