drill bits??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon007

I was wondering what drill bits everyone is using to drill their segmented pieces. I did a piece with buffalo horn pr and soda can, when I drilled it it broke at every piece. I used thick CA, scuffed up each peice, and let it dry over night. However the only bit I had in the size i needed was a brad point. I think that is the problem. Any one else have any ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

The different densities (can I say that here[:D]) can make a huge difference in the drilling proccess. I don't think brad points would be a problem. Many times it is the way the blank is held, and with different materials there are different size 'blocks' as well. You may not have a good hold on the blank the full length. Also going through aluminum, especially thin, the bit may want to grab a bit there. HTH

Ron Mc

Keith,
I never use brad points (sorry Paul). I only use the type of bits that BB sells or the type I find at Elliot's hardware.
The absolute most important thing when drilling a segmented blank is the method you are using to hold the blank. If I may ask.....how are you holding your blanks. If you don't have one of the PHDesigns vises I would suggest it.

OK...Here's the normal mumbo jumbo.....Paul will not send me funds of any kind if he sells a vise to Keith. Keith has made a wise decision on his own to purchase the best pen vise on the market.

leehljp

Member Liaison
With brad points and aluminum, you will need to use a higher speed. Some people have an aversion to drill bit speed, and speed can be a problem until experience integrates with common sense. But slow speed with a brad point is asking for disaster where the different densities exist within the same blank.

Also, as Keith recommended, a good vise will help. Paul in OK makes the best! Also, feed slowly, take small bites. Another help - learn to use the lathe as a drill.

rd_ab_penman

I use brad point bits and so far no problems drilling segmented pieces. I made my own jig for holding segmented blanks that works for me.

20077332243_Drilling%20Segmented%20Pen%20Blanks.jpg
<br />
Les in Alberta
20077332321_Alberta.gif
<br />
"What's YOUR Carbon Footprint?"

KenV

I suspect it is the metal that causes the challenges. The bond between glue and metal is problematic and aluminum (and copper or soft brass) can be a bit grabby. Try the glue up without the metal and I suspect you will have better success.

cbonner

I blew out my first try at a wood/ angled metal combo. It seperated right at the wood/ metal glueline (epoxy)... Broke my brad point bit too :-( I had a second, matching blank that I gave it another go with. This time, I started by pre-drilling with a smaller bit, then going in with a regular (split point) 7mm bit. No problems! For whatever its worth...

Rifleman1776

Soda can aluminum is pretty soft but, still, I believe I would not choose a brad point for this project. A regular twist or a split point twist would be a better choice. I drill almost everything at about 600 rpm and feed slowly when I suspect there might be a problem waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom