drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebel1

I am looking to buy new drill bits, I saw on this site that a lot of folks had trouble with the Colt Drill bits. Said they would wonders around when you start to drill and waller out the wood. Any one have any good things to add to this. Also looking at the Gorilla Grind bits at Penn State. Are they the same bits.:usflag:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I have had good success with colt bits, especially for wood. While not discussed here much, I do steepen the edge on bits drilling acrylics to better match the bits manufactured for drilling plastics.

Colt bits are hard to resharpen because of the shape but do sharpen to a conventional split point style edge.

I have not found any tooling from the folks at PSI that was the same as what they "knocked off". Cheaper copy -- some pretty good, some less good.

randyrls

Harrell; I would say they are not the same bits. PSI gets their items from China, and poor at that.

The accuracy of the drilled hole is about half drill press and about half drill bit. Technique counts a little bit too. Drill 1/2" deep and turn off and retract the drill bit. Clean chips from flutes. Extend the drill bit into the blank, and start up the drill press again. Notice the order. Continue until you are deep enough. The link below has a description of how I prep my blanks.

Pen Blank Preparation - IAP-Wiki

Top Bottom