Drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I spent a couple of hours tonight measuring, drilling and tubing some blanks. While changing bits for the 5th time, I said to myself "Self...why do you use these twist bits and not flat wood bits, spur-point bits, or bullet-point bits?" Since I had no answer for myself, I figured someone here could enlighten me. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Boy was that a poorly worded explanation. No, I was setting up for cigar and slimline pens, European pens, Gentlemen Jr.'s and Americanas. That adds up to a bunch of different SIZED bits. Sorry for not being clearer. [8D]

Scottydont

I use a quick change adapter in my drill press and use quick change HSS brad point bits. No if I only had a jig that was stepped so I wouldn't have to adjust the height of my drill press table. Standard bits on pen blanks is too much of a PITA.

jwoodwright

Scott,
This shows a step I made after seeing one also done for a Grizzly Press. Easy to make. Mine is Corian, Ram is bolt embedded in Corian.[8D]

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20041016680_Penpressv2.jpg
<br /> 74.99&nbsp;KB

jwoodwright

Lou,
I like the B&D Bullet Bits. I do a lot of Corian and Accrylic also. I do use a Number/Alpha Twist Bit to slightly open the hole as I like Poly. I was getting tube rejection...[:D] So, I found a slightly larger hole, swab inside of blank with water, poly the tube and twist and push and twist and let the Foaming begin...[:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Scott,
This shows a step I made after seeing one also done for a Grizzly Press. Easy to make. Mine is Corian, Ram is bolt embedded in Corian.[8D]

http://www.penturners.org/olduploads/jwoodwright/20041016680_Penpressv2.jpg[/img]<br /> 74.99 KB
I hate that I can't even figure out how to start making the plate and anvil and step thing. If anybody has a few spare minutes, could you drop me a line on how to do it? I have the press, but an stuck with all kinds of jury rigs to get it to work for me. BTW, I am NOT a woodworker...I just turn some pens. [8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Lou,
I like the B&D Bullet Bits. I do a lot of Corian and Accrylic also. I do use a Number/Alpha Twist Bit to slightly open the hole as I like Poly. I was getting tube rejection...[:D] So, I found a slightly larger hole, swab inside of blank with water, poly the tube and twist and push and twist and let the Foaming begin...[:p]
Like you, I really like the poly glue for tubes even for wood. Somewhere in Russ Fairchild's stuff I learned to size the bit 1/64 or 1/32 or 1MM larger than recommended so the poly can expand. It works beautifully.

tipusnr

I've been using the brad point bits myself as they were the ones recommended for accuracy and to minimiz blowouts but I have no way to sharpen them accurately and quickly so am considering twist bits which sharpen in the jig I own.

Has anyone else tried these in their drill presses?

Fred in NC

PEN PRESS: I found that the best materials for making rams and steps for pen presses are UHMW and nylon. I believe Woodcraft sells a bag with assorted pieces. I got mine from:

www.machinistmaterials.com

This guy sells surplus metal and plastics. You can get a piece of either material for a few dollars, he is very reasonable. Either material will turn well in a wood lathe with wood tools.

I got the Grizzly press too, and I believe I was the original poster in another forum. Grizzly sold out of them very quickly.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have used brad points, parabolics, bullet points and vortex bits and of all of them I like the vortex bits the best... they are scary sharp and wander a lot less than the others.. the only down point is price.... so I only have them in the sizes that I use the most... for the others I prefer a bullet point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom