Drill Bit sizes, Imperial to Metric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

philb

Hi,

Looking at pen kits form the USA, but all the drill bit sizes are in imperial. Does this mean that the pens can only be made to a correct fit with imperial sized drill bits?

Or do they a corresponding metric drill bit that is the same size?

To be honest imperial sizes just confuse me and i have tons of metric sized bits!

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

Phil, Check out the forums here or use the search facility on this site and you will get the info. you need. I posted another query this morning regard different sizes from different manufacturers and some of the problems associated with speed, heat and swarf clearing. you might like to check that. Cheers

Rifleman1776

There are numerous conversion charts available that are used by machinists and others for drill sizes. Often, you will find that some metric vs. inch size difference are too tiny to be significant. I'm sure an internet or local library search will find those charts for you.

There's drill charts in the library right here http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14937 Check the size of the drill with the O.D. of the tube in the kit - suppliers have been known to be wrong with their drill recommendations in the past.

philb

Thanks guys, thats help loads! i think that ill manage with some imperial and some metric! as a couple of micro-meters here and there cant make much difference!

Thanks again!

tharp

I posted a question about USA made pen kits but noone could answer it. Are these you are looking at made in US, or just distributed here? I ask because I got wrapped around the axle on another thread because of all the 7mm pen kits.
Tom[:D]

Firefyter-emt

Here is the one I have framed in my shop next to my drill press. I wish it had letter sizes, but this one is very clean and easy to use for metric & fractional and dimensional which works great while using your calipers!

www.yankeetoys.org/lee/conversion-chart.pdf

BTW, don't feel bad, I live over here and think the fractional system stinks! Give me metric or dimensional any day!

Hey, you live in Worcester, Huh?? Tell me I grew up next to a town that owes it's namesake to your town. How the heck do you guys pronounce it over there?? We have it as "Wister" or "Woostah"

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by tharp
<br />I posted a question about USA made pen kits but noone could answer it. Are these you are looking at made in US, or just distributed here? I ask because I got wrapped around the axle on another thread because of all the 7mm pen kits.
Tom[:D]

I believe it is generally accepted that ALL pen kits sold in the U.S. are made in China.
If there are any U.S. made, that would be very interesting information, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom