Drill Bit Sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chthulhu

15/32"=0.46875"
12 mm=0.47244"
25/64"=0.390625"
10 mm=0.393701"

In each case, the metric size is about three or four thousandths of an inch larger, so unless your tolerance is much tighter than that, you should be fine.

LeeR

Can I use a 12mm bit for a 15/32 size and a 10mm bit for a 25/64 size, or are they the same bit?

Another useful tool is Google "convert".

Just type in convert (15/32) inches to mm -- the parentheses around the 15/32 are required to convert that to a decimal number. You can use this to convert almost any measure from one unit to another (lbs to kg, $ to yen, etc.)

I own a set of machinist drills (numbers and letters), so if I need to sneak up on the correct size drill, these really help, since they fill the voids around 1/64" incremented bits.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Depends

Can I use a 12mm bit for a 15/32 size and a 10mm bit for a 25/64 size, or are they the same bit?
1. they are not the same size the metrics are a tad bigger.
2. I used american on a jr gent 1 kit that called for metric, had others tell me they used metric on the same kit and both worked.

Neededwill

Maybe I am not looking hard enough but is there a list of drill bit sizes that could be purchased when pen making? I would like to buy a set or purchase individually but as a beginner I have only done 7mm pens but want to know which other ones to buy so I have them when I move to other style pens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Maybe I am not looking hard enough but is there a list of drill bit sizes that could be purchased when pen making? I would like to buy a set or purchase individually but as a beginner I have only done 7mm pens but want to know which other ones to buy so I have them when I move to other style pens.

It's not that simple!

There are over a dozen sizes that I used regularly and a couple dozen more that were "once in a while". If you purchase the HF 120 piece set, you will have nearly all you need that are under 1/2". Notably, you probably want 7, 8, 10, 10.5 and 12.5 mm as well.

Over 1/2" you probably will need reduced shank, which gets pretty pricey and I would only buy the ones I need. For pens, I don't THINK there are any metrics you need above 13.3---but I would not bet that there are no others "spec'd out" on some kit instructions.

A couple of different routes you can travel...one.. at most of the sites where you will order your pen kits, at the bottom you will find where they will sale you the drill bits needed...OR..I would recommend purchasing a full HSS drill bit set in Standard and Metric and a drill doctor. These are things that will last you and ofcourse be used for much more than jsut making pens.

Top Bottom