Drill Bit Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Can't answer specifically,I have not used poly glue for tubes.I know it has gap filling properties.
That being said, a real hardware store will carry an "O" bit,it's a standard size.
As far as reccomended drill bit sizes goes.
I always try the reccomended bit first, but I have purchased the reccomended sizes from suppliers and found the hole too small for even the tube let alone glue.
Often times when drilling a cross cut or bias cut blank I have found a larger size bit is needed for some reason.
On mer consideration is which kit you are using.
With an oversized bit some bushings don't give you much "meat" around the tube.
I would try to find the correct bit first.
(your mileage may vay)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I use the 21/64 everywhere a manufacturer suggests the "O" size and with no problems. I also use a 9/32 instead of a 7mm. Poly glue will take care of the .01" difference in diameter. I find it amusing that the kit manufacturers's instructions will sometimes mention a 2-1/4" barrel, an 8mm tube and an "O" drill bit. Wouldn't you think that just one of them could keep their "language" the same?

dougle40

Personally I would shop around and find an 8mm drill rather than rely on the poly to make up .012 in size !! .012 is a lot for the glue to fill and if it doesn't fill properly you could end up with a crooked tube .

JimGo

Doug,
Won't that be taken care of by the barrel trimmer, and the fact that you've (hopefully) cut the blanks a little bigger than they need to be? I mean, a .012" difference down the length of a brass tube won't result in THAT severe of an angle that the barrel trimmer won't take care of it, will it?

dougle40

Won't that be taken care of by the barrel trimmer
Most likely it will unless you're working with a piece of wood that is on the small O/D size to begin with and the hole doesn't wander on you .
It also requires more glue inside to fill up the 0.06 gap all around the tube . After having been a machinest for years , I try to make the drilled hole as close as possible to the tube size in an effort to eliminate the possibility of insufficiant glue in the hole .

Just one more of my little quirks I guess !![:I]

its_virgil

If you have a TSC store (Tractor Supply Co) they have set of drill bits with the fractional, wire, and letter sizes. The set is currently on clearance from their Christmas gift tools. I got a set for $39 I think. They seem to be nice bits and come in a metal tool box with a slot for each kit...I think Southerlands has the same bits, but not on clearance. May want to check it out.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Jerry Adams
<br />I need to drill some blanks but I don't have the required "O" drill bit. Would it be ok to use a 21/64 ? I use gorilla glue to glue up the tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom