Driftwood question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I was recently in OBX and i picked up a piece of drift wood on my way home i would now like to turn it into 2 pens. what would be the best way to achieve this? Should i have it stabalized? should i have it cast in resin?

i can post pics if wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Either have them stabilized or turn round and soak with thin CA. Drill slowly to prevent blowout/tearout and thin CA inside the drill holes. After this dries, redrill so tubes will fit. Use plenty of CA. Kinda like turning unstabilized spalted wood.

ThomJ

Having carved driftwood, I know now it should be soaked in water, and change the water as much as possible to remove any minerals , salt, etc. It dulled my carving chisels quickly til I started soaking it.

Rangertrek

Besides the sand and grit in the wood you may also get a petroleum product smell when you cut in to it. I tried a few pieces last year I picked up from the beech. I did not notice the petroleum smell until it was cut. The wood drifts thru oil sheens in the water and picks up the material.
The prior post on soaking may solve the problem.
Good luck with yours.

My wife and I picked up a pretty good sized box of drift wood off a beach in Calif.. between Santa Cruz and Monterrey... don't remember the beach name, but was covered in DW... it's pretty light stuff and don't know if I can turn it or not... have thought about it, but so far it's still in the box... probably about ready for the fire pit by now... it's been at least 10 years since we picked it up.

Top Bottom