Driftwood Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmegow

A friend is sending me some driftwood to have a pen make from.
Can I maintain the gray bleached look?
Will turning and sanding get into the regular color?
She has not stated a preference and I did not bring the subject
up, as I am at a loss as what to expect
Thanks
Tom
Ala

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

I don't think the sanding should hurt anything. Be sure to blow the sanding dust out with compressed air before finishing. I don't know about other finishes, but CA will darken the wood tone somewhat. Good luck!

ssalvage

I have only ever turned one driftwood pen as a test. Was just playing around and trying a couple things out.

What I learned from that experience:
1) The wood (at least what I used) was VERY easy to turn... almost too easy. In fact, looking back I am surprised I didn't blow it out. Ed from Exotic Blanks (ed4copies) offers some really good tips for using thin CA to deal with punky wood that hasn't been stabilized.
2) The wood did change color. It was very grey and washed out on the outside, which leads me to..
3) I was extremely surprised and pleased with the color and spalting I found inside after I turned it down!

I'm sure every piece of driftwood is different, but that was my experience. (picture attached)

Attachments

• 20160215_214834-s.jpg
    20160215_214834-s.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 405

PapaTim

You could try drilling it in a way that kept some of the outside color unturned. Kind of like drilling antler.

ThatGuysPens

When I turned mine it lost its color and ended up looking like maple with weird grain. Had bits of dirty looking wood in it as well. Mine was also kind of a pain to turn. It seemed very dry and I had to use CA to keep it from blowing out.

I'd imagine it's a crap shoot for drift wood though. Mine was sourced from the PNW. Not sure what wood it was.

Top Bottom