The dreaded gap between tube and blank - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default The dreaded gap between tube and blank

Hey all,
After squaring a hybrid blank recently I noticed a drilling issue on one end, a sliver of a crescent moon that looked like this:
ba398439-d4ba-486c-bbb0-3fe364477982.jpg

The gap looks hollow but is actually filled with epoxy; nevertheless it meets the outer diameter of the bushing I intend to use. I did paint both tube and hole. I donít know how far along the tube the gap is, but it just looks like a blow up waiting to happen. Itís a nice blank and Iíd like to salvage it if possible.

The only remedy I can think of is to use a parting tool to turn down the affected region to the tube and glue on a segmented end cap (maybe on both sides), though that will be hard to make look good.

As the Dude said, maybe my thinking has become too uptight, man. Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions you might have.

Russ
Sly Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Yep no way out. Use a oops band and will hide it or use a larger kit if possible. Could also do a bulbous looking turned blank. Good luck.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it is filled with epoxy all the way through you shouldn't worry about a blow out if you take light cuts with a sharp tool. Once I turned it to size I'd see how it looks and if I wasn't happy turn it down to below size. Then take shavings and backfill it with them and ca glue. Let it dry and then turn it back down to the appropriate size. Its risky but it might work?
Gersh is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Dog View Post
Hey all,
After squaring a hybrid blank recently I noticed a drilling issue on one end, a sliver of a crescent moon that looked like this:
Attachment 184142

The gap looks hollow but is actually filled with epoxy; nevertheless it meets the outer diameter of the bushing I intend to use. I did paint both tube and hole. I donít know how far along the tube the gap is, but it just looks like a blow up waiting to happen. Itís a nice blank and Iíd like to salvage it if possible.

The only remedy I can think of is to use a parting tool to turn down the affected region to the tube and glue on a segmented end cap (maybe on both sides), though that will be hard to make look good.

As the Dude said, maybe my thinking has become too uptight, man. Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions you might have.

Russ
Check with calipers the OD of the components, there may be enough timber to be OK to turn.

And, using end caps is not too tough, and can look quite nice with some attention to contrasting materials. I simply us any available stick/scrap wood of the approximate dimension wanted (eg, 1/8", 1/4", etc) to get the two ends equal, part it down to the tube on both ends, drill the tube holes in the end cap material and you are good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
img_3483.jpg   img_3021.jpg  

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 227

I'm afraid I have to disagree with my fellow penturners. To me it looks like the hole is simply too big for the tube...ie; wrong drill size used.
I honestly don't think an oops band will help.
I'd see if the tube matches another fatter kit or take a chance and just go for it, you may be lucky....if it blows, it blows.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I've had that happen when the drill is started off center ; the starter hole end becomes elongated. I've compensated on occasion by leaving the blank long and gluing the tube in past the elongated part, or if the gap isn't extreme by filling it with CA. But looking at the photo, in this case I see no options other than making a new blank or using oops bands.

https://www.facebook.com/thestatepen/
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I'm not optimistic, but I would turn it. At worst, you can just turn off the timber and re-use the tube (assuming you've not overly shortened it while squaring). I've gotten away with a sloppy drill job a few times, a couple times, not so much. How does the other end look? I'm not sure it's the wrong sized hole--I've had bits follow the grain in wooden blanks and produce an exit hole that's too big, even having center-drilled first and I drill on my machinist's lathe so it's pretty rigid.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is this an ongoing issue you have or just a one-off thing? It does look like a nice hybrid blank. I'd take the same size tube and while holding it butted up against the end of the blank backfill it with dust and CA. Would avoid the barrel trimmer especially since it looks like a hybrid blank and a barrel trimmer just loves to eat hybrids for dinner. Opt for the disc sander, then just turn it. As someone said, if it blows, it blows but you should be fine if the rest of the tube is firmly secured in the blank.

Last edited by ramaroodle; 01-19-2019 at 12:05 PM.
ramaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I had that happen a couple of times. Can't really say what caused it. Here's what I did- I got a thin needle and put the point in the space between the tube and blank. I ran a couple of drops of thin CA down the needle and into the space. Tap the blank lightly to get the CA down even more. Once, I had to do this twice to fill the gap.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 6

1 or 2 out 20 barrels, I will get that whether I drill on a press or lathe, whether I use a new/sharpened bit, drill and 1/4" at a time or 3/4 at a time. I might just stink at drilling.

My only "somewhat successful" work-around is to try to keep it centered when gluing...and that doesn't work all of the time.

I also think the hole is too big versus OOO.

What is a oops ring?

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads