Draw bolt required?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichB

You are on the right track. They a also called a Draw Bar. It can be a bolt or a long piece of threaded rod from the hardware. This goes down the middle of the lathe spindle and threads into the collet. Use a washer on the other end with a nut and tighten it up. This pulls the collet in on the taper so it will not vibrate out. It doesn't take much pressure to hold it. Google Drawbar for lathe. It will show some and how to make one. They have to be the right length for your lathe so making one to fit is the best. I made one for my steel lathe. Hope this helps. RichB

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm thinking of getting a PSI expanding collet chuck MT#2

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CXCMT2.html

the specs say -requires draw bolt-

Since I've never used a drawbolt on my lathe - how would I buy and use one - is it just a long 1/2"x20 bolt that goes down the middle of my lathe spindle
Hi Bob; I see you are from Canada, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find out where you are specifically located!:biggrin:Canada's not that large a country.:laugh:How's about a little more specificity re: your location! Who knows we might live in the same town!

All this to say I didn't see anything on the specs that said it required a 1/2" x 20 bolt as the drawbar. I'd bet it's a 1/4" x 20 thread. Can be ordered in Canada from Woodchuckers in TO 800.551.0192 John is our PSI man in Canada, a great person to deal with, besides he generally doesn't charge for shipping.

BobRad

My typo - I meant 1/4" not 1/2"

Yeah I'm in Toronto and thankfully discovered John a few weeks ago, when I started back using my lathe after several year. I would order the collet chuck from him - but I wanted to check out this draw bolt thing first.

micharms

Get a piece of !/4 all-thread rod from a hardware store with a wingnut and washer. Cut the rod to the right length and I bet you have a draw rod that costs a lot less than the one from PSI

Michael

KenV

Check the specs -- The one I have is 1/4 by 20 - but I also have those tapped for 3/8 by 16 and 10mm metric so one size does not necessarily fit all.

I made a hand wheel extension with a t-nut to tighten the threads. just a bit bigger than the hand wheel and tightens against the outside of the wheel.

fernhills

I have a Jacobs chuck that takes a 3/8" x 20 thread draw bar and others that take 1/4" x 20, it all depends what the mandrel is threaded for, if it is threaded.

Top Bottom