Dragonhide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

So has anyone other than Karl, and now me, turned a dragonhide blank?

I got tired of them taunting me so I messed one up last night. I'll post the pen later, but I'll tell you guys what I learned and what I did to make the pen.

Now, I'll start by saying that these are the most expensive blanks that I have turned to date. I know there are others out there that cost more, but for me, this is the top at the moment.

With a very sharp Skew, and the blank mounted in my chuck, I turned one end of it round. I flipped it around and proceeded with rounding the other end. At this point the blank broke in half at a weak spot in the cone. Luckily the two parts were more than long enough for the Baron kit that I planned on.

I then drilled both lengths on the lathe (I must say that I love doing this the more I do it, for those that still drill on a drill press, buy the drill chuck, You won't regret it). without a hitch.

I used some CA gel that I had laying around since I wanted this to be a one session pen and the holes didn't have a lot of slop in them. I probably could have gotten a bit better coverage and maybe I didn't wait long enough. I did round a few more blanks in the mean time to take pictures for my website (gotta start working on the wood catalog for people to puruse).

I then tried to mill the ends. Big mistake. The pettels of the cone are prone to getting knocked off by the blades of the trimmer. I spent the next 15 minutes on getting a clean edge on the the one end with about 1/2 inch of exposed brass. I then CA's a filler of Red BEB to act as a large centerband/oppsband. While that dried, I focused on the other blank. Instead of the mill, I chucked it up again and used sandpaper on a cabinet scrapper to trim it. This worked spot on and I got really good results. I think I may try this in the future with other blanks too.

After I had all the blanks trimmed they went on the lathe between centers. Now knowing that these buggers can be fragile (or at least this one is with the quick CA glue to the tube), I deceide to use the 80 grit skew instead of the 1/2 inch skew. A LOT of dust later, I had a beautiful pair of blanks.

My thanks to Karl, for making such a beautiful blank for me to destroy. I blame me for the short-comings and not the blank. I probably am not at the skill level where I should have attempted this yet, but I've always pushed myself beyond my abilities.

I will be posting the pen tonight.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

I've turned some of my own castings in this. The first was over a year ago and it took some care, but I had no overall problems with it. I turned a CE Baron in one last week and I've bee trying to decide how to finish it, or I'd post it.

karlkuehn

Banned
These things are the hardest (er, most difficult) things I've ever turned, from drilling to finishing, they're a challenge. I'm not sure what cones other people are using, but the Norway Spruce is a fragile little thing. They have nice small petals, but that means there's lots of little 'joints' to cause problems.

Don't blame yourself, Mike! Those cones are really tough. Before I even put them on the lathe I take the corners off with the belt sander and then when I'm skewing it's slow slow slow until it grabs a petal and yanks it off. A clean workbench is essential so you can pick up the pieces and glue them back on.

After I get the hole drilled, I put lots of CA in there to solidify inside of the blank. That core is full of sap. I bake them off to crystalize it before and after casting, but the resulting 'amber' is no where near as strong as the resin. Re-drill the hole once the CA dries and then use either tons of epoxy or better yet, Gorilla type glue that will push into the nooks and crannies.

Also, for your next ones, I'd definitely drill them while they're still square. You need all the adhesion power of the blank to hold them together while you're drilling and milling the ends. I sand the ends almost to the brass tubes, and then really lightly have a go with the pen mill, taking off the last 1/32".

I've been working on a proper tutorial, and I'm going to hold off on selling any more of these until I get it done and posted on my website. These things are definitely hard to work with, and with the amount of time I spend casting them and the amount of money people pay for them, I don't want to see a bunch of naked brass tubes and unhappy faces. [B)]

I can't wait to see the pen, and glad that you were able to push through it! :)

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Russianwolf

Hey Karl, This one was the Freebie you sent, so I look at it as a learning experience. the next ones won't have the issues. :D

OH! Yeah, the 'practice' blanks I sent out to people were from earlier casts that I was unloading as freebies. Great test-run blanks that should show you any potential problems you can face.

Knock on wood, but the next one should go easier. Still, be careful, and don't cuss me out too much! hehe

I don't remember what batch you have there. My newest stuff I've been totally soaking the outside in CA to wick into any potential problem areas. So far that's been working really well for me, but they look weird before turning.

If they're really shiny on the outside, it's the CA coated ones. If they're sort of dull looking it doesn't have it, so those few might be more fragile still, and it might not be a bad idea to give them a good CA soak before milling.

What did you use for a finish?

sbell111

Originally posted by karlkuehn... I've been working on a proper tutorial, and I'm going to hold off on selling any more of these until I get it done and posted on my website. ...
I'm glad you mentioned your website. I've been meaning to congratulate you on pulling off the 'minimalist' look.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by sbell111

Originally posted by karlkuehn... I've been working on a proper tutorial, and I'm going to hold off on selling any more of these until I get it done and posted on my website. ...
I'm glad you mentioned your website. I've been meaning to congratulate you on pulling off the 'minimalist' look.

LOL...you don't think it's too over the top, then? I didn't want a bunch of confusing navigation on there. Even information can get a little overwhelming these days. Bleeding edge, man, that's me. [:p]

Russianwolf

This was a flat black Cinder. The gloss black Cinder is still staring at me. So it sounds like it was unsoaked. The Ember and Dark Passion are both glossy to I think.

For now the finish was just a simple sand to 400, then micromesh all the way through, then EEE wax, then some 3M scratch remover, then PPP waxes. But I may take this one back apart when I get a buffer and see if I can improve it some more.

What finish do you use on these? I don't do CA finishes, but I may try lacquer dipping one at some point.

toolcrazy

I'm glad to see this post, I have one of the dark passion blanks coming. So, I know now what to watch out for. I was gonna put it on a Emperor FP, but now I have second thoughts. We shall see.

Karl,
You really need to finish that website. And get everything up there.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by toolcrazy

I'm glad to see this post, I have one of the dark passion blanks coming. So, I know now what to watch out for. I was gonna put it on a Emperor FP, but now I have second thoughts. We shall see.

Karl,
You really need to finish that website. And get everything up there.

Oooh...I've never done an Emporer, how big are the tubes? I would attempt these blanks on anything bigger than a baron, is that about right?

Mobilman - I've not moved the website into production yet, so it's only a placeholder page at the index level right now.

Mike - I use CA on these all the time, laying it on as thick as I can and buffing it out.

toolcrazy

Originally posted by karlkuehn
Oooh...I've never done an Emporer, how big are the tubes? I would attempt these blanks on anything bigger than a baron, is that about right?

Yes it is bigger than a baron, now your gonna make me re-think this. May end up in a cigar. Oh well.

Russianwolf

Here are a couple pics of the beast.

200842421118_Pens%2042308%20004b.jpg

And here's his belly.

200842421138_Pens%2042308%20005b.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, nice contrast on the oops band! I like the black a lot, I haven't made one of those myself yet.

Nice glow on the finish, too. I love the look of the patterns when those things are turned.

I can't wait to see the next one. You've almost inspired me to go turn one myself, but I already used up all my cuss words today on a horrendous CA finish I've applied and turned off twice today. :) Welcome to the dragon club, my friend! You are hereby dubbed Sir Mike! Now lets get some mead!

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Russianwolf

of the scraps I had laying around I thought this one looked the most "fire" like. Then I went and named the pen "Dragon's Heart"

Oh, man, now you got my brain working...as if those things weren't hard enough to deal with in the first place...hehe

Top Bottom