Double Flower Segmented Pen Help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wickford

Howdy,

I saw a really neat segmented pen posted by I believe ken69912001 that was a "double flower" segemented pen. I'd really like to try and make one of those and i've been trying to figure out how to make that blank, and I'm about ready to give up as I can't seem to get it together (wasted enough wood already on "prototypes "...Anyone have any suggestions on how to put that blank together?

Thanks!

Jeff [B)]

There are several good tutorials in the library.
This one http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/segpenblanks.pdf shows a similar technique to the "double flower"
To my inexperienced eye, it looks like simply a matter of making miter cuts in contrasting woods and then glueing them together.
Remember, a straight cut at an angle in a square blank will look like a curve when the blank is rounded. If the "double flower" photos had also had a side view, you could see that where the rosette pattern met the body was a 45 degree (or whatever) angle miter.

wickford

I thought the same thing with the angle cuts, but I've tried a number of different angles and glue ups and I just can't seem to get it to come out right...Oh well...I found another tutorial on the web for a similar design so I'll have to give that one a try and see if I can figure out how to modify it to get the end result I'm looking for...

Really wish I would have been at the MWP 2008 so I could have seen that demo!! :D Oh well...Maybe next year!!

mb757

Jeff, it’s hard to explain in an a few words. The flower is an eight sided segment four light colored and four dark colored pieces. There is a couple of different ways to make the segment. One is cut eight pieces at 22.5 degrees and glue them together and make a single checker, instead of gluing the piece into the blank against the flats (face) of the checker you lay it perpendicular and glue it into the blank on the ends. When you turn the piece it will leave the flowers. the main problem with this type of segment is that you are turning against the grain and a blow out is fairly easy to do.

Top Bottom