Double feature!! Hope you brought popcorn!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Whalebone Virage start to finish - YouTube

Through the magic of editing, a completely different "take" on the last video and it's continuation through the process of making a GREAT whalebone pen!!

Turned from start to finish with a HSS Skew. But there were SEVERAL sharp skews used!!

Comments welcome---as well as suggestions for topics for vids,

Thanks for looking!!

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Looks really good Ed.

Is there no need to put a CA finish on Bone like is done with Wood? I have someone requesting a bone pen from me and I was wondering about the finish.

Do your fingers all have a layer of CA on them? :)

Thanks for sharing!

stonepecker

Thank you Ed for these vids. Everyone can learn something from these demos.

Question......After getting the profile you wanted......could you have done the final shaping with say 60 grit paper or did the skew leave the piece smoother then that?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you Ed for these vids. Everyone can learn something from these demos.

Question......After getting the profile you wanted......could you have done the final shaping with say 60 grit paper or did the skew leave the piece smoother then that?

Kind of, Wayne!! I do sometimes (also on the editing floor) use 240 grit to smooth out a profile. The trouble with using anything very coarse (under 120 grit) is you start a progression--if you start with 60 or 80, you then have to do 120, 200, 360 to get back to 400. While doing this, you will often find you have not removed a deep scratch from the early sanding.

As you may be able to tell, I DID try this in my early turning days. Particularly with some resins, the scratches were really difficult to remove. So, I have settled on 120 to 150 as a "shaping tool".

yaroslaw

Ed, I've posted some pictures of Sperm Whale bone pen some time ago in SOYP forum, made few more pens from that material.
My recomendations would be to put CA finish on top. Some very thin, few coats of thin CA left unbuffed would be enough. It would still look and feel like a bone, but... First pen (hybrid cigar in black TN/Rodium) from whale bone that I've made in February (and sold today!!! for $350!!!) with very thin CA finish was good staying with me from winter through summer. Second pen was made a two month ago, just buffed... and cracked month later. Same piece of bone. Crack is easily repairable, and good that it had cracked at MY home, not customer's...
Another whale bone pen for custom order is going tomorrow for $400. Material is really good for high end pens without too much "bling" of gold and stuff. I'll make a foto and post it in SOYP:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you!!!

I am always willing to learn from someone ELSE'S cracked blanks---I will add your information to the instructions, Yaro!!!

Ed

Top Bottom