Double cross opinions please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmpartain

This is an El Grande ballpoint. Walnut with some burl as a base, poplar cross, Enduro finish. I understand that you want the cross material to be the same thickness as your blade kerf. I cut on the table saw. Any suggestions on a thin kerf blade, so the cross material can be thinner? You can see that the finish was too thick to allow the top of the pen to fit properly. I mis-judged how much of the lower barrel would be covered, and you can see my mistake there. ARRRGGGGG! Oh well, looks like I get to keep one of my own!

20067614712_dbl%20crs.jpg

Thanks very much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Despite the slight "oops" in the lower barrel, it looks really nice. I can see why you'd want the crosses to be smaller, but they don't look bad at that size either. I think Freud makes a thin-kerf blade (the Diablo) that's been pretty popular here.

vick

Originally posted by JimGo
<br /> I think Freud makes a thin-kerf blade (the Diablo) that's been pretty popular here.
I use the thin kerf Diablo it is a smaller 7 1/4 blade actually made for a circular saw
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0332981720.1152198876@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdfaddifekjedkcgelceffdfgidgio.0&MID=9876
Use the 24 tooth for ripping and they carry a 40 tooth for cross cutting.

JimGo

Mike,
I was thinking of something like the D1080X or the D1050X. But I'm not a flat worker, and have only dabbled in the use of my table saw. Not that I want to hijack this thread, but are these bad choices in blades for this specific purpose?

vick

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Mike,
I was thinking of something like the D1080X or the D1050X. But I'm not a flat worker, and have only dabbled in the use of my table saw. Not that I want to hijack this thread, but are these bad choices in blades for this specific purpose?
I am no expert on saw blades but the reason I like the 7 1/4 inch blades is the kerf is only .059 the kerf for the blades you are talking about are .098, big difference. I have liked all of the diablo blades that I have used in the past. The thinner blade also gives less resistance so cuts very smoothly. I would not recommend them for larger stock due to deflection issue but they seem to work fine for the small pieces you would use for pens. It depends on how thin you want the X and how thin you can cut your veneer strips. For cutting veneer strip you waste a lot less wood with the smaller blade. While both of those blades will cut the x's fine I would not recommend either for ripping your veneer strips.
Just my 2 cents.

emackrell

Mark, the double-cross inlay is very pretty, I'm just trying to work out how you did it. It looks like four separate slices of poplar set in at the same angle 90 degrees apart. Does that mean you cut the blank and glued in a piece four times in a row, from a different side each time, or have I missed something?

And if you hadn't rather hang on to a pen with a mistake in it, I'm sure one of us would take it off your hands for you... [;)][:D]

cheers Eileen

pmpartain

Thanks for the compliments. You got the process exactly right. Other guys here showed me how it's done. You just cut each side at a 45 and glue up. I'm working out how to use two colors of wood for the X and get a basket weave pattern, but I haven't got it yet. Just have to get the right order of the cuts.

woodmarc

As an Irish American, I like it, However... I do think that a thinner material would work best. I recently picked up some Maple veneer from the local Rockler store, had a great deal in the clearance bin. , By cutting through a predrilled and turned blank, and glueing the veneer strips, I can achieve the look with out too much hassle, I have a couple of blanks that are in various states of glue up, and will post the results in the near future.
I can understand using a thin kerf blade to minimize the waste generated with creating this kind of blank, I am using a band saw to makethe cuts, 60 grit paper to smooth the cut ends, then titebond 3 stainable glue forthe glue up. this minimizes the waste, and provides a smoothed surface for the glue. Once the glue up are done, I will redrill the hole for the barrels, size the tube, glue in the barrels, and if the wood gods are smiling on me, turn an acceptable pen.
For the religious, a novena or two would be appreciated![;)]

just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom