Do's and Don't of pen care?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

Aside from avoiding temperature extremes for wood, and not leaving your pen in the car... what is the basic pen care protocol for a non-fountain pen?

I use CA on wood, and acrylics I just mm real thoroughly and polish, but really I don't know how to/if you must "maintain" the finish? The finishes are turning out really nice lately and the progress has been just fantastic, but I want to keep them that way :biggrin:

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

Thanks for the input chaps!

No throwing pens... about that... I think I almost threw a pen once when I cracked the blank after working on it a while! lol!

Jim Burr

Banned
How would you treat your pen? Take your first one and wipe it down with what you want to try...see what you get.

Quality Pen

How would you treat your pen? Take your first one and wipe it down with what you want to try...see what you get.
I suppose I was thinking more long term... like if I wiped it with a clorox wipe it probably would look okay, even better perhaps since it would shine it up a little and remove some grime, but over time I would presume the bleach would eat away at the finish of a pen.

I was talking about this recently... we're told not to leave a CA finished pen in a hot car, but what actually deteriorates? I didn't know the answer. I mean, does the CA basically melt? I could imagine someone literally super gluing a pen to their dashboard! :eek::biggrin: But I have no idea if that would actually happen.

bruce119

I will add another few points...Acrylics no worry's they are just about indestructible...

Woods can be a P.I.A.

Rite from the start,
Make SURE your blank is dry don't heat it up wile drilling sanding or finishing...
Also think moisture rite from the start your dry blank your environment working in a nice dry place, wood is like a sponge and will absorb moisture from the air. Wood will move with changes in moisture and heat...

So work in a dry environment with a dry blank avoid heat...

TIP..When applying CA finish seal the ends of the tubes...lots of folks don't think about it but it is bear wood and moisture can find it's way in...

So you get the picture heat and moisture are the enemy of wood...
I had many CA wood pens crack and spider web on me a few years latter till I figured this out..

Good Luck

bruce119

I suppose I was thinking more long term... like if I wiped it with a clorox wipe it probably would look okay, even better perhaps since it would shine it up a little and remove some grime, but over time I would presume the bleach would eat away at the finish of a pen.

I was talking about this recently... we're told not to leave a CA finished pen in a hot car, but what actually deteriorates? I didn't know the answer. I mean, does the CA basically melt? I could imagine someone literally super gluing a pen to their dashboard! :eek::biggrin: But I have no idea if that would actually happen.

I wanted to address this with my thoughts...
Your worries there with the heat is not the CA the CA wont melt or go soft...

The WOOD will expand and then contract when cooled causing the CA to crack or spider web...

Quality Pen

Thanks Bruce, that really helps and makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your help!

Also, we have been gluing the ends... that's a real pro tip!

Top Bottom