Don't let tools sit unused

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Last week my Delta midi shredded the belt. The lathe is an older LA200 model and the belt was original. I'm guessing that 4 years of sitting in my hot garage without being used took their toll on the old belt. But I happened to have the belt off another LA200 with a bad motor, so I put it on and got back to turning. I knew last week to just go ahead and order a few new belts, but I blew it off. Tonight I shredded the other old belt. It was working fine until I moved it to a slower speed. So I ordered two this evening and I'm hoping they come in Monday because I have 2 orders of multiple pens to fill!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

I did the same thing with printer cartridges a couple weeks ago. The darn thing told me to replace it because it was low and I kept putting it off. When it goes out you cannot over ride it and force a different color or anything, it is just a big ole paper weight. Now I have have a couple extra backups. Same goes for the metal lather. I popped the belt on it, but when I ordered belts I bought a five pack, it was cheaper. I think I have two left. :redface:

alamocdc

Argh! I ordered the belts from a company in MI Friday afternoon. They shipped them today via UPS ground! Really?!? Two small belts that will easily fit in a Priority envelope? So I won't see them until next week and I'm dead in the water with orders to fill! Sheesh! I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few $.

76winger

Do the belts on regular lathes go bad that often?

I would have thought there would be less wear going straight pulley to pulley. My Shopsmith has been using the same ones since I rebuilt it back in 2005/6. Of course now that I mentioned that I'll probably have a failure the next time I use it... :confused:

Last edited:

alamocdc

Dave, I used the lathe for 4 years in Ohio with no issues and it was well used when I got it. I don't know for how long, but the drive spindle had been replaced. I'm thinking that having the 2 belts just sitting in my hot garage for 4 years caused them to become brittle. Kind of a dry rot if you will. With regular use, they should last quite awhile. That said, my spare will not sit in the garage this time.

HI IPD Mr.Check out the continuous feed ink systems at cisinks.com.I just installed a system on my Epson Stylus Photo R340.Great borderless pictures.$20.00 less than a set of cartridges for the system.75 ml ink per color,instead of 17ml per color.Under $29.00 for a set of 100ml bottles.the system came preloaded.Don't remember who recommended this a little while back,but a geat big thanks to you.So many great ideas being recummended on here. Thanks every body!

Top Bottom