Don't do what I did

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

I keep a jar of acetone on my bench to soak bushings and CA bottle tops in. Well, as soon as it hits water it turns from a liquid into a solid.

I poured a little water into the jar, and then was able to dispose of it as a solid after it dries. I took a before and after picture in the jar and then dumped the solid into my hand and took another picture. Also did a video but don't know how to put it here.

200824221626_Before.jpg

200824221643_After.jpg

200824221657_Solid.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

interesting indeed. I wouldn't ever have even thought about putting it down the drain in the first place, especially being I'm on a septic tank. I use it to help ignite my burn pile. Didn't know water would solidify it either.

Tonto

Good message, great reminder not to dump anything unknown or a known pollutant down any drain, it will find its way into groundwater or surface water and wind up in someone elses drinking water or worse. We're a group that uses wood, a natural resource, we should also promote sound stewardship of water as well. Surprises me what folks do dump too, it eventually costs us all one way or another.

airrat

I know there are some legal things about what can be dumped down a drain or washed into a storm drain.

For me I dump mine onto cardboard too and let it evaporate. I wish I knew a better way to dispose of it, since there is still residue on the cardboard.

jwoodwright

All Town/City dumps have an area for receiving Hazardous Waste. We have several free days a year. All Hazardous Waste goes to a specific area that can limit it's impact on the Enviroment.

A real problem we have here is those too lazy to do it correctly and drop it off in gas Station trash cans. This is called "Midnight Dumping" and is a major expense.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Originally posted by jwoodwright

All Town/City dumps have an area for receiving Hazardous Waste.

Not so, here...we have a 'waste transfer station', and they don't accept Hazardous Waste more than once a year, when a special truck comes to pick it up...costs 15 dollars a truck load then too, no matter how much you have (from one thing of cooking oil, to thirty paint cans)

Andrew

Top Bottom