dont burn your point away

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penbros

i dont know if this has already been tried by anyone but it works well for me. its a block of wood that protects the point of the live center but supports the mandrel. heres how to make it.

Pure simplicity

1. mark the centers on a short 3 inch 1.5 inch square block of poplar
and mount between centers.
2. turn it to a cylinder (keep it 1.5 inces in diameter)
3. take it off the lathe and go to the drill press. on only 1 end of the cylinder drill a hole in the center (diameter or your mandrel)1/2 " deep.
4. put your mandrel on the lathe how you narmally would when u turn a pen . mount the cylinder so the mandrel goes into the 1/2" inch deep hole and put the live center up to the end of the block in the center.
5. turn back to true

to use put the mandrel in to deep the hole and put the tailstock up to the end and into the small hole created by the point in the building process then tighten a half turn to keep the mandrel steadt but not bend it

hope i helped anyone out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimQ

All that is going to do is add another flex point. Even if it is minor, you are likely to get oval pens. And if your piece of Poplar should split.... You are going to be wearing your mandrel. Not a pretty sight.

Simply and safely solve the problem by getting the correct equipment, a 60 degree live center.

JimQ

smoky10

A 60 degree live center is the way to go. It solved my problem with out of round blanks and the point is the same as the recess in the mandrel so it won't normally be harmed.

Nolan

Well even if after you buy the 60 degree live center if you wear it out its only 12.95 for the standard and 23.95 for the heavy duty live centers. For 13 bucks I will cosider it a disposable item. Saftey first!
Nolan

Tanner

I got a 60 degree live center, put the Spur Center in the headstock and the points matched up perfectly. I bought a new mandrel and made sure the hole in the headstock was clean. I made sure the knureled nut at the end of the mandrel was not too tight and kept checking it during turning. I still get a little oval on the pens. I have been just giving it a half turn to get it even. Maybe the collet chuck would help.

penbros

well i got told! it works 4 me and i get round pens. my mandrel used to be feally flexy because i used no support because my tip was burning off i got a new tail center and i didnt want to ruin it. now it doesnt flex so i see it to be a good help for me so w/e

penbros

o and my mandrel is closed at the recessed end because the tip of my tail center is in there! i dont wanna buy another mandrel if it works

mick

I'll echo Smoky's question. If both the Mandrel and the live center is turning...then how can the metal of the mandrel burn away the metal of the live center?

Mandrel turning + Live center turning = two stationary objects = no friction

Randy_

Originally posted by penbros
<br />.....it works 4 me.....

That's great....but for how long?? Seems like an accident waiting to happen. Did you consider that if your mandrel was burning off the tip of your "STEEL" live center, what is it going to do to the little "WOODEN" spacer that it is in contact with it now??

Randy_

Originally posted by n4631x
<br />Well even if after you buy the 60 degree live center if you wear it out its only 12.95 for the standard and <b>23.95 for the heavy duty live centers.</b> For 13 bucks I will cosider it a disposable item.....

Several people have reported that the HD live centers don't work for turning pens. I would advise staying away from them. The standard duty LC has worked just fine for me and many others have had the same experience.

Randy_

<br />.....i dont wanna buy another mandrel if it works

You can drive a race car on bald tires at 200 mph unless it rains.....then there is a whole "nother set of issues. In most cases, you can buy a replacement mandrel for $5 or $6. That is smalkl investment against the risk if a serious accident, don't you think??

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
<br />well i got told! it works 4 me and i get round pens. my mandrel used to be feally flexy because i used no support because my tip was burning off i got a new tail center and i didnt want to ruin it. now it doesnt flex so i see it to be a good help for me so w/e

There is nothing wrong with sharing ideas. This one, however, is simply dangerous. If you tightened up your tailstock so tight that you were "burning off the end of your mandrel" you are almost certain to have a fracture of your wooden "splint" for lack of a better word. If this happens at speed, the mandrel will fracture off and become a rather unguided missile. Good luck on ducking in time!

Do you have a live center in the tailstock? They do make dead centers, and this could perhaps cause the problems that you relate.

I would suggest that you review the FAQ here, as well at the Yahoo site. There is so much to be learned in that way, and it will help you to learn more than you can imagine at this time.

Again, I would recommend that you work on your typing skills as your present form of communication is difficult to read.

Dario

<br />
Check the LittleMachineShop....great value live centers

BTW thats were the prices came from in my earlier post.

Nolan

Nolan,

I know [;)].

BTW, regarding your earlier comment...is the Heavy Duty version worth the price difference? I got the regular ones and works very well. It does heat up a bit after a while especially since I turn fast. [:D]

smoky10

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
<br />
Check the LittleMachineShop....great value live centers

BTW thats were the prices came from in my earlier post.

Nolan

Nolan,

I know [;)].

BTW, regarding your earlier comment...is the Heavy Duty version worth the price difference? I got the regular ones and works very well. It does heat up a bit after a while especially since I turn fast. [:D]
Someone, on another thread a while back, said that doing the type of turning we do we don't need the heavy duty one. I bought the cheaper one and have been happy with it.

Nolan

Dario,
Dont know cause I bought the standard too, couldnt see were the heavy duty would be needed. I just clarified the price info so anybody who read the post would know that for the price I stated they would get the live center people were already using and liked. Basicaly super value for the money!
Nolan

penbros

There is nothing wrong with sharing ideas. This one, however, is simply dangerous. If you tightened up your tailstock so tight that you were "burning off the end of your mandrel" you are almost certain to have a fracture of your wooden "splint" for lack of a better word. If this happens at speed, the mandrel will fracture off and become a rather unguided missile. Good luck on ducking in time!

Do you have a live center in the tailstock? They do make dead centers, and this could perhaps cause the problems that you relate.

I would suggest that you review the FAQ here, as well at the Yahoo site. There is so much to be learned in that way, and it will help you to learn more than you can imagine at this time.

Again, I would recommend that you work on your typing skills as your present form of communication is difficult to read.
[/quote]

thanks 4 ur concern, but will it still do that cuz i only tighten a half turn and the tip went away om my old tail center because of the mandrels metal not the wooden block.

Fangar

<br />o and my mandrel is closed at the recessed end because the tip of my tail center is in there! i dont wanna buy another mandrel if it works

You need to purchase a 60 degree center. Most lathes do not come with this. I went through the stock live center on my jet as the center was not the proper angle.

This is really a simple discussion. You seem to be very opinionated which is fine. Others here are more educated for sure. Don't let your opinions interfere with your education.

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom