Don`t have a clue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

papaturner

I don`t have a clue how to do the surveys and the such,however I would like to know what sort of inventories you guys keep. The number of kits ,type of kits number of blanks and the sort. I seem to be letting mine get out of hand including the finished pens. Thanks in advance for your responsees..........Perry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

The blanks do seem to accumulate. I may be having an inventory reduction sale on blanks soon. As for kits, I have about a dozen Slimlines on hand that should last for years as I rarely do slims anymore. For all other styles combined (Gents, Jr. Gents, Artists pencils, others), probably a dozen total. I use only Ti and can't justify keeping too much money tied up in inventory.

TBone

I don't turn a large number of pens and I give away a lot more than I sell. They 9 year old next door wanted to buy one of my pens for his mother and instead I told him I'd help him make her one. More fun than selling to me. But I have probably 40 kits among 5-6 types. Now blanks are a different story [:D]. Small inventory in comparison to some, but I have probably accumulated couple of hundred which is enough to last me several years.

lwalden

Way to many..... I guess I'm a natural hoarder (which is a step up, respectabilty wise, from a packrat.... at least that's what I tell my wife[:D]). I'd Guess I have around 3000 blanks, about 50 slimlines ( I used to have more, but Ron McIntire keeps borrowing them....)between 75 and 100 cigar kits, around 50 baron kits, 50 sierras, maybe 25 Euros, about 50 Jr Gents and 30 Jr Statesmen, Maybe a dozen Jr Emperors and a dozen Emperors, same for full sized Gents and Statesmen, half a dozen Imperial, and maybe another 50 mixed/misc. kits. Of the roughly 3000 blanks, probably 500 of those are stabilzed ones from Bill Baumbeck @ A.S., a couple hundred amboyna burl, same for Afzelia burl, 'bout a hundred Irish Bog Oak (now that I've restocked), along with a fair amount of DIW, BOW, Various types of Ebony, Chechen Burl, and on and on.....
And obviously, a very understanding wife[:D][:D]!

OKLAHOMAN

Not enough according to me and way to much according to SWMBO.I keep 300-325 pens in stock for sale and have approx. 200 kits and 300-350 blanks mixed acrylic,wood and cactus.

LEAP

Around 30 kits and probably 300 blanks, not counting various boards and blocks that have not been turned into blanks. What I don't have enough of is time to turn them.

PaulD

Probably 125 kits, 200 blanks (not counting uncut wood and burls) and 50 completed pens of all varieties. This is why I do boxes, birdhouses, polymer clay and painting too, it gives me something else to focus on when the pen inventory gets too high.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
For pen blanks I have about 50,000 mesquite, 8,000 spalted hackberry, 8,000 spalted pecan, 800 spanish oak mistletoe burl, 600 Texas cherry burl, and 300 mescalbean. Of course they are all in log form waiting for me to have time to cut them on my sawmill!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Mike,

Pretty much like most other cherry burl I guess. It is a unique sub-species called Escarpment Black Cherry and it only grows in the Texas Hill Country west of Austin/San Antonio. My inlaws have a few of them on their property in Luckenbach.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20074752757_Cherry%20burl%20sierra.jpg
<br />

Rudy Vey

What's a hoarder????
I haven't count them, but I would say 1500-2000 blanks.. They are kept in old shoe boxes and plastic shoe boxes from the $-Store, together the boxes fill a large heavy duty shelf unit from HD and one shelf of another one. There are for example about 100-150 BOW, about 100 each Thuya, Amboyna and Redwood Laceburl. Then I have lots of woods from Asia, like Afzelia, Pradoo, Afzelia Burl, Pink Myrtle Burl from Tasmania, a small boat load of Irish Bog Oak (no, its only four shoe boxes), numerous boxes with stabilized wood including very curly Koa, Cherry Burl, Camphor Burl, Holly, BEB etc. My stash of plastics is only one box full, a box of Dymondwood and similar laminates I bought from Peter Steenwyk. There are also a lot of uncut OO squares, Redwood squares, Narra and BOW for boxes and stoppers.

For kits I have approx 100 assorted slimlines, 80+ Flattops, 70+ Baron, 50+ PFC, 30+ El Grande, 50+ Sierras, and now about 30 Statesman Jr and Gent Retro. Plus some odds and ends, maybe another 20-40 kits.
They are all kept in Plano fishing tackle boxes (3700 StowAways) - they are great for kits. Whenever I get kits, I immediately unpack them, check that they are OK and complete, and every piece goes in its own compartment in the storage box. One compartment holds the bushings and on top lays a instruction (just for the drill bit sizes, I cant remember them). Some special kits also contain the drill bits, pin chucks or dis-assembly tool in the box. For example, my Barons are in three boxes, one just has the tubes, refills and the tools mentioned before.

I have about 200-250 ready pens on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom