Domestic vs Imported

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Flaturner

I have seen several sources for Brazilian tulipwood. I would like to know if there is a source for domestic tulipwood. I am originally from Indiana and the Tulip Tree (a.k.a. Tulip Poplar) is the state tree. Thanx!

jhprice

As far as I know, it isn't commercially harvested. I have to rely on blow downs for stock, when I can find it. It is a popular ornamental around East Tennessee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Chasper

The Brazilian tulipwood and Indiana tulip poplar are very different woods. There are plenty of commercial sources for tulip poplar. It is the softest of the hardwoods and can be nearly white or streaked with green, brown or dark purple. With the brown/purple coloration is is usually called mineral poplar. Antique poplar is commonly called yellow poplar and is usually a greenish yellow color.

As for sources, it is available at any of a dozen or so sawmills within 20 miles of where I live in Southern Indiana. Most of the trim in my house is made of poplar, I operated a casket making business for several years, we made them out of poplar. It isn't hard to find but is mostly too common to be offered by the exotic wood vendors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom