Is domestic olive comparable to BOW?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Here in AZ we have a lot of olive trees. I acquired two logs, one 8" in diameter and the other about 7". Both a couple of feet long. They are green.

I have cut a couple of bowl blanks from one, but haven't turned them yet.

I have turned BOW. How does domestic olive compare?

Sharon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Sharon,
I have turned a couple of bowls from USA olive. From California. I think it is very pretty, has good figure and turns very much like any other olive.

If you haven't already, make sure you anchorseal (or some other method: paint, wax, etc.) it or it will check-up on you. Let it dry for a good while.

sbwertz

Should I cut it into penblanks green, or dry it first? The two bowl blanks look spalted, and have green fuzz. This was cut from a live tree and had set for a week or two in our monsoon humidity before we cut the bowl blanks. I am going to partially turn the bowl blanks and put them aside to finish drying. I will know more about the grain then.

Here in AZ, except during monsoon, the relative humidity is less than 20%..often WAY less. Stuff drys fast. What if I cut it into 6 inch rounds and anchorseal it. Would it dry faster? Most of what I turn comes from dry wood. I have some pretty mulberry that came from a neighbor's tree but it was all dead limbs. Also some dry texas ebony, gambrel oak and spalted walnut. I also have some mesquite and palo verde, both pretty green. I befriended a local tree trimmer! :biggrin:

I am going to cut some dead limbs out of my neighbor's African Sumac tonight. I have no idea what it will look like

Sharon

Last edited:

Wildman

Would cut your pen blanks and seal ends so they will dry sooner. I would rough turn your bowl blanks and seal with anchorseal. If not going to get to turning bowls for awhile seal ends of logs. Normally do not seal rough turned bowl blanks average annual humidity here pretty high.

David Keller

The domestic olive that I've turned is much prettier than the BOW that I've seen. Olive is prone to cracking, and your lack of humidity is not a good thing when drying wood like that. You could seal it or enclose it in something that will slow the moisture loss. I would cut the pen blanks oversize to allow for warping and seal the end grain as previously recommended.

Padre

Seal it all if your humidity is that low.

Turn the bowl blanks, but leave PLENTY of room for drying. Then anchorseal the whole shebang.

Pen blanks, as was mentioned earlier, cut large, seal end grain.

robutacion

Yes, I agree with most has been said...!

Olive wood, is in fact one of the hardest woods to keep from cracking, the density of the wood and the naturals oils within, like to "expand" fracturing its wood cells as it dries.

I have found that living the whole log alone (ends painted/sealed), it will take a lot longer to dry but, the usable wood endup being higher. The Olive log will develop normally one large crack through the length, and all the "expending" energy is concentrated within, making it wider as it dries.

This is particular useful if you turn bowls, cutting them green, there is, cut your blanks (round or square) is very much a risk as you don't know where that crack will develop, most times the big crack will become lots of little ones and one or two not so small, that most of the times spoils the blank, particularly the round ones...!:mad:

But this (method) is only suggested IF you have plenty of time and like to wait, lets say 10 to 20 years...!:eek::) otherwise, the slice and dice approach does get things dome a lot faster but without some hiccups..!:wink:

The quick approach is to cut the logs at least 2 to 4" in length more than its diameter, this for the end grain cracking, seal the ends and let it dry. The even quicker approach is cutting all your blanks green seal them and let them sit for a while. Green turning for bowls is my preferred method (love turning green wood, particularly Olive wood, it will produce its stronger smell then...!:biggrin:) A 1" thickness of wood left all around on those green bowls is normally enough for re-turning it later. Soaking it in a wood sealant is good, boiling it in water for 30 minutes or so, has produced excellent results to a lot of people.

Pen blanks on the other hand, seem to do well cut green (couple of mm oversize) and waxed in the end grain. A good idea is to stack your pen blanks like a "drying tower" as I call it (pic attached), spaced (4 blanks each direction) and strapped, as this makes the handling of the blanks easy, take little room and reduces possibility for warping...!:wink::biggrin:

When is time for finishing your art work, I have also found that with Olive wood and unless you want to finish it with natural wood oils, for the application of any other synthetic product, including CA on pens, a good wipe, I mean, wet the wood with acetone using a good paper towel (no fluff) is probably the best "preventive" step you can ever do, to apply any product (apart from the natural wood oils) over the olive wood.

A good hint on the repair of Olive wood flaws, is to use grind coffee beans mixed with the glue...!:wink:

PS: In regards to your question, "I have turned BOW. How does domestic olive compare?" I don't really know how your local Olive wood look like or what species you have growing there but if it is the common Mediterranean (Olea Europaea) Olive tree species, the appearance of the mature wood, smell and texture are extremely identical to BOW..!

Good luck

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC07612.jpg
    PIC07612.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 182

sbwertz

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. As you know, I am a greenie who has only been doing this for a few months, and your advice is very valuable to me.

I have one other questions. A member of the board chastised me in a PM saying this thread was not appropriate here and that it should have been posted in Casual Conversations. Was I wrong to post it here? I don't want to commit a board no no.

Sharon

rjwolfe3

Sharon, if this had been posted in the wrong forum then Curtis would have moved it. As far as I know Curtis and Jeff are the only ones with the power to decide a thread is in the wrong place or not. I would ignore that member that pmed you unless it was Jeff or Curtis. If he/she thought the thread was in the wrong place, he should have clicked the little triangle and reported it.:)

As far as domestic olivewood compared to olivewood from Israel, in my limited opinion I have not found olivewood from the States to be as nice as olivewood from Israel. Though I have seen Russian Olivewood that is quite beautiful. I have a assortment of olivewood that I have picked up along the way and I can actually see the difference without looking at the label.

Just my opinion so don't flame me.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. As you know, I am a greenie who has only been doing this for a few months, and your advice is very valuable to me.

I have one other questions. A member of the board chastised me in a PM saying this thread was not appropriate here and that it should have been posted in Casual Conversations. Was I wrong to post it here? I don't want to commit a board no no.

Sharon

DurocShark

Since you asked, yeah. It probably would be more appropriate for Casual Conversations since you're talking about bowl blanks.

But I'm easy. Doesn't bother me any.

sbwertz

The only reason I mentioned the bowl blanks, was that was all I had cut so far. I didn't know whether to cut the pen blanks green or not. I know you are supposed to cut bowl blanks green and partially turn them. I didn't know whether to cut the pen blanks, or cut the log into pen-blank length rounds and seal the ends until it dried, or to let it dry in one piece.

Sharon

DurocShark

She also mentioned pen blanks so doesn't then put it back here in this forum, lol.:biggrin:

Since you asked, yeah. It probably would be
more appropriate for Casual Conversations since you're talking about bowl blanks.

But I'm easy. Doesn't bother me any.

Hah! Good point! But like I said, I'm easy. I really don't care. But there is lulz in discussing it!

sbwertz

After due consideration, I decided I'd rather have pens than bowls and cut up the two bowl blanks and got 40 really nice pen blanks. They are all cut and waxed and neatly stacked to dry.

Thank you all for your information and advice. I now know how to prepare pen blanks from green wood.

Sharon

nava1uni

I have turned California olive and I live in San Francisco, where there is lots of moisture. Even here the olive checks(cracks) easily. I would stack it so air circulates around it. I got some olive from an olive orchard and it is still drying after 1 year, but the blanks are just ready to turn and doesn't have any checking, but definitely some warping.

robutacion

I have turned California olive and I live in San Francisco, where there is lots of moisture. Even here the olive checks(cracks) easily. I would stack it so air circulates around it. I got some olive from an olive orchard and it is still drying after 1 year, but the blanks are just ready to turn and doesn't have any checking, but definitely some warping.

Hi Cindy,

The warping can be "significantly" reduced if you stack them in such way so that air flows between the blanks but they are "braced/rapped/strapped" in such way that keeps them all in a tight bundle.

I have hundreds of pen blanks drying at one time, spaced and stacked freely but, if any of the woods that I'm uncertain or aware that they will move considerably, I strap them in stacked piles, to which I call, "drying towers". You can use wire to strap them with, if nothing else is available to you and, as they dry and the bundle becomes a little looser, you just re-tight them again...!

I'm adding a few close-ups of the "towers"

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC07094.jpg
    PIC07094.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 107
  • PIC08829.jpg
    PIC08829.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 93
  • PIC08830.jpg
    PIC08830.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 91
  • PIC08831.jpg
    PIC08831.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 92

sbwertz

Man, George, my puny little "tower" looks downright insignificant! But I stacked it the way you showed me. I didn't strap it, but if it looks like it will warp I will. I dipped all the ends about 1 1/2" in hot wax. Hope that does the job. The bowl blanks were already cracking, but the one double wrapped in two plastic bags would have still been turnable. The other one, already cut round, was so badly cracked I couldn't turn it.

I'd rather have pens anyway!

Sharon

Top Bottom