Domed scraper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

This year I had seen a photograph of a round-ended scraper in a catalog, however this specific shape was barely rounded so that the corners would not catch. This tool was called a domed scraper (not to be confused with a doomed turner). Anyone know where this is available. Thought it was Lee Valley but I cannot find in their or others' catalogs. Alternately, perhaps a square end could be shaped to achieve the same purpose.
Reason, have wanted one that is more closely tangent to the work than a round end, but not a square due to the problems that the corners can cause. I have used sandpaper and MM but found that a sharp scraper can achieve the same smoothness. Irregularities can still exist but the domed scraper might solve that problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think what you are looking for is sometimes referred to as radius scrapers - some are cut to a 2 1/2 inch radius on edge, some 4 inch and I think I have seen one with a radius of 6 inch.

These inserts are approximately 1/2" to 5/8" square looking but actually radius. The radius cut diameter is noted in the text.

Click here for a pict on CSUSA of a radius cutter. The CSUSA pict shows a small diameter radius, but I have one 4+" diameter radius that is barely perceptible and looks almost square.

ON the CS web site, the part for the cutter with the scraper tool - look up part number 161-4521.
or just click here.

Last edited:

Chris Bar

Inserts...that is not what I saw but it makes much more sense..thanks. I can fab the tool and buy the inserts...what a deal!

Top Bottom