Doing Weirdness to American Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I have a dozen American pen kits (woodcraft) that came with a used lathe (Delta) I bought.

I'd like to make a few of them in completely different shapes than the kit comes with (Ie, make a two-part "bandless" pen that is fattest in the middle where the blanks meet, and tapers to the ends).

The problem I have is the fitting. I realize this particular kit has some very tight tolerances, and I'm afraid that if I don't have the center band pressed onto the last 1/8" of the tube, the transmission won't fit together right (the top of the tranny won't make contact with the grip built into the cap).

How do I overcome that? I like the double-twist mechanism and the nib in this pen better than the slimlines, and I think it would make a fine bandless type pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I do not think this kit is a good choice for some "free forms". It is best to make them straight and bushing to bushing. The slimline is a much better kit for playful turners...

redfishsc

All this negativity.. Just what I need to try to prove you all wrong. [8D]

Actually I may or may not try it. Depends on how frisky I feel Friday when I turn on the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom