doing inlay pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

The instructions say put the tube inthe pen, place the pieces in opening and use thin CA, just a touch. When I barely put any CA on it it ends up glueing the tube in place. Then I can't get the tube out to really glue it in. What am I doing wrong before I ruin another kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

Use the tube to snap the inlay pieces in place, remove tube, then thin CA to hold the pieces -- follow with epoxy or CA to glue the tube in the assembled inlay blank.

PaulDoug

Use the tube to snap the inlay pieces in place, remove tube, then thin CA to hold the pieces -- follow with epoxy or CA to glue the tube in the assembled inlay blank.

That's the way I do it. I also find it helps get things in place, to roll the blank, with the tube in it, on a firm surface.

lwalden

If you need to leave the tube in while tacking the pieces together, don't use thin- use thick. It won't wick through to the tube if you're just tacking the pieces in place with a drop or two the way thin will. You'll need to hit it with accelerator while it is still largely on the surface.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've done quite a few of these kits. I assemble the pieces with the tube in place, then hold the pieces in place with masking tape, roll on a hard surface to make sure the pieces are seated, remove the tube and glue with thin CA from the inside. You can then glue the tube in with as normal. Chances are you won't be able to remove the tape but that can be turned off. After I turn off the tape I inspect the kit and if necessary flood with thin CA on the outside. Before gluing the tube make sure it still fits. You may have to remove some of the CA with a rat tail file.

Pioneerpens

I have also done quite a few and do mine the same as Dave. I use blue painters tape. it is wide enough to hold all pieces together during assembly...remove tube and then glue...

dexter0606

I've only done three or four of these but I wrap the tube in waxed paper first. Haven't had a problem. Only thing is that the paper sometimes sticks to the blank. I just use a rat tail file to take it off of the blank

Top Bottom