Is Dogwood Handsome For Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am making several pens to auction for a canine-related fund raiser.
I was thinking about turning dogwood.

Is there any species of dogwood that has some nice figuring to it?

Thank you.

PS. I have made several doggy paw sticker pens...it's too much work given the outcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skewed-logic

Tony:
The dogwood that I have turned is all pretty minimally figured. (A lot like filbert).
It occurs to me that for your canine-related fundraiser you might get a few blanks that have natural edges.
-p

TonyL

That's a good idea. I will give it some thought. It would more like a stick. Thank you.

KenV

Dogwood holds great detail. It was used to make weaving shuttles and such. It takes dyes well. Takes pyrography well

Dog collar theme in Dogwood?

TonyL

Thanks Ken. I did just buy a pen wizard. Maybe just the time to break it in. Thanks!

1080Wayne

Checked my dogwoods . The black line spalt shown on the pen in Mark`s link doesn`t seem to be as common as a smeary type . Eastern and western(Pacific) dogwoods look much the same . You should be able to find some with good chatoyance .
Ray fleck can be quite prominent on a crotch piece . Narrow leaved and red osier dogwoods don`t seem to have as much pink colouration as the other two .

As a general statement I would say that there is probably no such thing as a tree species which has only plain wood . The plainest wood from any species is probably found where the living is easiest . More figured wood is apt to come from an environment where the species can survive , but not exactly thrive .

You noted Ken`s comment about dogwoods ability to hold detail well , because of its hardness , strength and fine grain . One of the details it could hold is that of a fairly sharp edge . I have a reference book which suggests that `dog` is a corruption of `dag`, short for `dagger`, one of dogwoods older uses , probably in a back stabbing way .

Wildman

I have turned a lot of different item from Dog Wood color can vary a lot. JMHO, don't need to do anything fancy with Dog Wood, people impressed with seeing something made from a tree they know or own. Have made and sold several plain Dog Wood pens, unfortunately none to show today.

Finishing with different clear film products will produce different results. Here are two Dog Wood boxes, one finished with Shellac and the other Water Base finish. The darker of the two started out an offset turning but due to flaws in the wood plan changed.

I say keep it simple think will enjoy turning Dog Wood, best of luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 85

TonyL

Thank you Wayne and Bill. Interestingly, my wife who is a volunteer certified service dog trainer, just informed me that she wants me to make two acrylic pens. One is an acrylic that I just bought from Exotics. Tells you what I know about that market :).

Thanks again, and beautiful work Bill!

Wildman

I think you will do very well turning acrylic blank pens. Cannot tell whether girls or guys prefer woods or acrylics, don't think in this case can go wrong. After all heard from the only expert that counts!

Good luck with them.

TonyL

Hi Dave:

I will buy 5 from you. Just tell me the cost with the shipping please.

pinelumber

dogwood blanks Bark Bark!!

Good idea dogwood for a animal benefit auction. Since dogwood is so soft how about dying the wood?? It might bring out the growth rings. I haven't done it so I don't know if it would work.

Dennis
Pinelumber :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

TonyL

Good idea dogwood for a animal benefit auction. Since dogwood is so soft how about dying the wood?? It might bring out the growth rings. I haven't done it so I don't know if it would work.

Dennis
Pinelumber :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

That is a great idea...but I am happy just to be able to turn it :)

TonyL

I still have some of that spalted crosscut stuff left as well as some dogwood root if you feel like trying it out. Talk to me tomorrow after work.

Thank you Gary. Perhaps, I will see you Saturday morning. My lathe may be in. Otherwise, I will make two pens out of what I have.

Naturally, I will only be comfortable if I pay for it.

Top Bottom