Dogwood/Hackberry ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djborek

We actually stock some steamed dogwood burl, it makes a great pen. The wood warps a bit when steamed but looks great when finished. Hackberry turns nice also; the wood spalts pretty good and has lots of spider webbing of black line. Our Spalted Tamarind from Laos looks similar but is whiter and much harder.

Regards,

David J. Borek
http://www.Blankity-Blanks.com

dougle40

I have had some dogwood for a while now and haven't tried a pen yet but after my first attempt at using it , I sure will try it for some pens .
The first piece I turned with it is a honey dipper and has been left without a finish of any kind , just sanded through 1500 grit wet-dry and crocus cloth .

20041130155129_Sanding%20001%20Small.jpg
<br />

It , somewhat , reminds me of Pear wood but a lot harder and takes to a shine better .

Back in the goodldays dogwood was used for shuttles in looms. That is for production looms. It wears very well and the more it is used the slicker it gets. It was and is ideal for that use. That is the effect you are seeing when you sand it and it takes on it's own polish.

Originally posted by cat6492
<br />Never see anyone using Dogwood. Any reason why it would not make a good pen wood? What about Hackberry?
I have a bunch of, I guess you'd call it, Ambrosia Hackberry.
It has the little beetle holes and streaks like Ambrosia Maple, but the streaks are red paling down to shades of pink, instead of the dark streaks Maple has.
It makes a real nice looking pen.
ken

Travlr7

I have turned Hackberry as bowls and tried one pen. The thing that made the bowls unique was the grain ana rays. The pen was NOT cut diagonally across the grain, so was not very figured. If you cut it diagonally, it should make a nice pen.

Bruce[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom