Does Cocobola pretty much always tear out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arw01

Very light with a sharp skew still getting some tearout going either direction. Ended up using the 120 "scraper" works, but it would be nice to find out if Cocobola can be turned with no tear out.

Thanks
Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I've done three cocobolo pens so far without that problem. And I turned them on a drill press. I've experienced that some with Lignum Vitae and spalted Maple, but not Cocobolo.

arw01

The grain appears to run lengthwise, but I may have a blank that has some cross linked grain in the section that was tearing out.

There are three more pieces to other pens that I will see if they tear chunks out too.

1nfinity

I've turned numerous pens, ring boxes, and wine stoppers with Cocobolo. Never any turning issues and it finishes nicely. Regardless of material, I run into problems when a turning tool isn't sharp.

LeeR

I've turned a few things in cocobolo, and had very good success. Perhaps you have some soft areas that need to be hit with CA to toughen them? I've turned spalted pecan that had the texture of cork, and it did just great when it was saturated with CA.

Other than that, I'd side with another responder and suggest maybe your tools were not sharp. I do all my wooden pens with a roughing gouge, followed by a skew, and when these tools are super sharp, I find there is usually no need to sand them prior to going to MM.

Last edited:

ren-lathe

Over the years I have turned about 200 different Items out of Cocobolo from pens to small hollow turnings & the only time I have ever experienced tear out has been when I was not paying attention on tool sharpness.

Coysquibbly

Never had a problem with this wood. I hace to agree with the turns like butter. Have turned a dozen or so from 4 different suppliers.

Kevin

BSea

I have to agree with everyone else, I just turned one the other day, and commented to my son that it was just about the easiest pen I'd turned. Took almost no time to turn, and finished great.

MarkD

I have turned quite a few pens from Cocobolo and found that it turns quite easily.

snyiper

I have done a few slims with Coco and had no issues. I use a carbide to rough it out and a skew to finish....Keep em sharp!!

Top Bottom