Does Cambridge have a plastic nib coupler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I am considering the Cambridge, but I refuse to make it's more "pedestrian" cousins, the Churchill and ElGrande because they break way too easily b/c of the plastic nib couplers. As a side note, I LOVE the Churchill-- good feel and shape. Unfortunately the plastic is just too brittle.

If I decide to make a Cambridge, I'll make sure it doesn't have the same IDIOT flaw that the Churchill/ElGrande have.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Matt, the Cambridge is made like two of Berea's other fine kits, the Churchill and the El Grande, neither of which I have any problems with. I think calling something you don't like an IDIOT flaw is a bit much. No offense intended, I just find it a bit over the top.

Firefyter-emt

In short, yes... it is plastic.

If you want, you can use the nib section and press in coupler from a Ligero kit which is far stronger, but it raises the cost of the "kit". The good thing is that as a whole the IAP guys will have a good lot of spares once the tap and die sets come in. :D

redfishsc

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Matt, the Cambridge is made like two of Berea's other fine kits, the Churchill and the El Grande, neither of which I have any problems with. I think calling something you don't like an IDIOT flaw is a bit much. No offense intended, I just find it a bit over the top.

I know, Lou. It's fairly harsh. But considering that I broke both my first Churchill and Elgrande, doing nothing that I haven't done to a Gent, Baron, Jr. Gent, Jr Retro, Sedona, and even some of the cheaper "snap cap" fountain pens,...........and also considering that I am not the only person that has complained to them about this, and they do not care, well, out of respect for my friends, I will recant on the use of "IDIOT" and replace it with "SOMEWHAT THOUGHTLESSLY EXECUTED"[:eek:)].

BTW, Lou, I do agree they are fine kits in the hand and to write with, for a while. Just like a Porsche is a fine car. But if you break the gear shifter, well, you have what I have: a fine looking implement that is totally useless. The two pens (BOW and Jerusalem Carob) sit on one of my bookshelves like wallflowers: pretty but serving no real purpose. I don't even show them to friends or customers b/c I am afraid someone will want one. (Praise God that PSI's Apollo has a metal coupler-- I have one in "testing" for now, we'll see).

Top Bottom