Does anyone use a Ridgid Bench Sander...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

to square the ends of their blanks? I have two new kits (Jr. Statesman and Havana) and don't have the mill bits for my drill press.

I was wondering if anyone uses the Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander to square ends. Unforunately I don't have a dish sander.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bob393

I don't but a spindle sander probably will not work, at least I don't know how I would do it on a spindle sander. If your careful you might get it on the belt sander, I would make a jig to hold the blank square though. Perhaps some scrap wood and hold the jig right against the belt. It would be sacrificial but should work.

kghinsr

sandking
I use a ridgid belt/spindle sander to square blanks and as long as the tube is glued in square with the blank it works nicely, if the tube is off a little it can only square with the wood not the tube. you would still need to use a tool to square with the tube. BUT for removing material to the tube you can't beat it
ken

darbytee

I only use a disc sander with a miter gauge for squaring my blanks. I bought a Jet combination 9" disc and 6x48" belt sander last year and use it more than I ever thought I would.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Take a spare tube,(one you have a mill for glue it in a blank and turn a shaft for the tube/blank you want to mill.

sandking

Originally posted by bob393
<br />I don't but a spindle sander probably will not work, at least I don't know how I would do it on a spindle sander. If your careful you might get it on the belt sander, I would make a jig to hold the blank square though. Perhaps some scrap wood and hold the jig right against the belt. It would be sacrificial but should work.

It's actually a combination belt and spindle sander. You take the spindle out and replace it with a 4" belt. There is a miter slot which would be good, but I guess the problem is that if my drill press drilled on a slight angle, the tube wouldn't be square to the wood.

sandking

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Take a spare tube,(one you have a mill for glue it in a blank and turn a shaft for the tube/blank you want to mill.

Eagle i understand and that's a great idea. The only question I have is will the cutter head be big enough? I have the deluxe mill set from PSI, but I just bought a few Jr. Gents and Statesman kits which tubes seem huge to me.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I dunno I have the same set and used it on a Gent.
Worked fine.I would thnk a Jr anything would be ok I use it on the BArons.
3/4 cutter right?

fiferb

Take a spare tube,(one you have a mill for glue it in a blank and turn a shaft for the tube/blank you want to mill.

Eagle, I have a headache where I smacked myself in the forehead (ala I should have had a V-8), duh, how simple and why didn't I think of that. Thanks.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by fiferb
<br />

Eagle, I have a headache where I smacked myself in the forehead (ala I should have had a V-8), duh, how simple and why didn't I think of that. Thanks.
That why I wore a hat when I met you, to hide the bumps.

Orgtech

I have the Rigid sander and have used it successfully to square the blanks. I use it to take the corners off some times after the mill. But it should work fine with the 90 deg bracket with the belt.

sandking

Thanks for the heads up Bruce. Do you have a jig you use with the sander? I would love to see a pic if you do. I was considering asking for one of those combination disk/belt sanders (the 6" type) but don't have much space for it with the rest of my stuff. Plus I have so many sanders I'd rather put the money towards a dust collector.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />I've done just what Eagle suggested... I've turned adapters for all of the large size tubes I need to square.. PSI or CSUSA sell a material you could use if you didn't want to use an extra tube and blank.
Not my idea read it or somewhere else.

tas2181

Sandking,
Here is a pic of the squaring jig I made for my belt sander.
Used 1/4" threaded rod (for 7 mm tubes)and a gate 'bar holder'.
I have turned inserts for the various other tube sizes.

Tom

2006128154435_blankjiga.jpg
<br />

sandking

Thanks Tom. I'll have to try that one. Was it difficult to get the jig 90* to the sander? My concern was what Eagle had mentioned earlier, but then I guess even with a disk sander you have the problem of the tube not being square to the blank.

tas2181

I tried to make sure the drill holes in the bracket were aligned as perfectly as possible to start. Mounted the rail with one screw and adjusted the rod until perpendicular to the belt and then fastened it in place with another screw. That takes care of the left to right adjustment.
The table tilts so I adjust that to take care of the up and down adjustment or as the belt can be moved from horizontal to vertical that can also be adjusted.
I also rotate the blanks a little as I sand.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by sandking
<br />Thanks Tom. I'll have to try that one. Was it difficult to get the jig 90* to the sander? My concern was what Eagle had mentioned earlier, but then I guess even with a disk sander you have the problem of the tube not being square to the blank.
I have a Ryobi bench disc sander.The belt "bounces" great for roughing tubes.
I don't consider a sander a precision tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom