Does Anyone Recognize ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

1_Acrylic76a.jpg

Does anyone recognize this material??? This is a photo from YoYoSpin. He is no longer a member here. I like this alot. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

Not really sure, John, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was a spalted aquapearl of some type. Check with Berea Hard Woods as I know Ed used to deal with them a lot back in the day.

jttheclockman

Ed was another gold standard member. He did some amazing pens, bottle stoppers and yo-yo's!

Derek that is a very true statement and he did not get the recognition he should have. I am not sure if he is still making things or not but i do know he sold all his stuff here a few years ago. He has videos that could help many people in both pen making and as bottlestopper and yo-yo's He always shared his techniques. True artisan.

jttheclockman

My mind keeps going back to Honey swirl or Honey Pearl or Rootbeer swirl or pearl. I maybe totally off. Hard to match the blank and hope someone may have made a pen or two that looks like that color.

jttheclockman

Exotic Blanks :: Pen Blanks :: Berea Acrylic Acetate (AA) :: Grey Black Pearl AA-X

I used this material in the same time frame as Ed Davidson, I am pretty sure this is the one you are showing.

(Edit in: Also the same one Roger showed--helps to read the earlier posts!!)

I do not believe it is grey in color. I believe it is tan or honey color. That is the way it looks on my monitor. Ed was very proficient with his photography skills so I believe what you see is what it is. Not looking for grey and black. Not really sure what it is. I wish people would give a discription on the pen when they put it in the albums. May have to do a search and see if he shown this in a thread somewhere.

Last edited:

pianomanpj

Exotic Blanks :: Pen Blanks :: Berea Acrylic Acetate (AA) :: Grey Black Pearl AA-X

I used this material in the same time frame as Ed Davidson, I am pretty sure this is the one you are showing.

I do not believe it is grey in color. I believe it is tan or honey color. Ed was very proficient with his photography skills so I believe what you see is what it is. Not looking for grey and black. Not really sure what it is. I wish people would give a discription on the pen when they put it in the albums. May have to do a search and see if he shown this in a thread somewhere.

John, did you try looking at the link I supplied? The images are quite different.

jttheclockman

I found the thread where he shows this set and a bunch more. he states he got the material from Bill Bombeck back when he owned Arizona Silhouette

He does not say what it is called. But if you look there is one there that looks black and grey and this looks tan and brown. He even uses a yellow cabochon on the bottlestopper and do not think he would do that with black and grey.

www.penturners.org/forum/f13/new-acrylic-sets-15416/

jttheclockman

I do not believe it is grey in color. I believe it is tan or honey color. Ed was very proficient with his photography skills so I believe what you see is what it is. Not looking for grey and black. Not really sure what it is. I wish people would give a discription on the pen when they put it in the albums. May have to do a search and see if he shown this in a thread somewhere.

John, did you try looking at the link I supplied? The images are quite different.

I did Roger but that is just a stick and not really detailed. Thanks though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I BELIEVE you are seeing the evolution of color in acrylics!!

Ten years ago, the colors were more vibrant and the material was more expensive. It is my OPINION that they lowered the cost and reduced the dyes.

I could certainly be wrong--but that is my "operating hypothesis".

Good luck!!!

jttheclockman

I BELIEVE you are seeing the evolution of color in acrylics!!

Ten years ago, the colors were more vibrant and the material was more expensive. It is my OPINION that they lowered the cost and reduced the dyes.

I could certainly be wrong--but that is my "operating hypothesis".

Good luck!!!

Well that is a shame if that is the case Ed. All those pens and stoppers he shown were superb.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I made thousands of pens and never had to paint a tube or "reverse paint". The pens were displayed under halogen light, high intensity--no one ever said they saw a tube. BUT I recall paying almost $5 each, buying them 300 at a time.

Now, they are cheaper. But I see tens of thousands of blanks and they don't look as vivid as I remember them.

I am working on a solution for those who are willing to pay for better choices, we will see how it turns out.

FWIW

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Ed Davidson got out of pen making years ago to focus on his YoYo Business. I believe he was (and maybe is) the webmaster for AAW. Ed was instrumental in the early days of the IAP. I wish he was still around here, but people move on...

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Can't help with sourcing the material JT. Just wanted to add that he was a big influence on me and my work. I've copied his flowing style on my closed ended pens and also made my own Rose Engine Lathe, based on his work.
I've used many of his 'doohickys' and learned the phrase.....bufferoonyed from his vids. :biggrin:

Where do they all go....and why is it them that go instead of the useless ones...:rolleyes:

jttheclockman

Ed Davidson got out of pen making years ago to focus on his YoYo Business. I believe he was (and maybe is) the webmaster for AAW. Ed was instrumental in the early days of the IAP. I wish he was still around here, but people move on...

Ed was one of the originals here. He was inspirational in some of the things I do and I thank him for it. When he was selling off his stuff i tried to buy much but was beat out by many. He worked with Bill Bombeck and made the bottle stoppers for him to sell. He taught me a few tricks in making those blanks that I still use and remember well. We learn from the best.

Can't help with sourcing the material JT. Just wanted to add that he was a big influence on me and my work. I've copied his flowing style on my closed ended pens and also made my own Rose Engine Lathe, based on his work.
I've used many of his 'doohickys' and learned the phrase.....bufferoonyed from his vids. :biggrin:

Where do they all go....and why is it them that go instead of the useless ones...:rolleyes:

I knew Ed from his Yahoo days when he had a bottlestopper forum. He taught me many things and got in some great group buys with him. His testing of the Pen Wizard and learning the use of that thing inspired me in what I do now with a router. He started using a router on a lathe for pens and it was the first person I saw do this.

Now my feelings are hurt. :biggrin:

For those who are interested here is a link to his photo album. 62 pages of jaws hitting keyboards.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?c=1&u=76

Go to his web site and be even more amazed. His tutorials are still very current in what we do today. he is missed here for sure. I probably could send him an email but that was years ago and he probably does not remember. That was something Arizona Silhouette sold back many years ago.

Not sure but looks very similar to "Liquid Smoke, or "Black Pear acrylic blanks that Berea sells. Bill was a reseller of Berea products haven't seen him around here much these days.

Liquid Smoke Acrylic Pen Blank: Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Black Pearl Acrylic Pen Blank: Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Bill thanks but I am not looking for black. In fact I have liquid smoke blanks

MattTheHat

My suspect memory thought I might have some of that material. So I went through my stock of older acrylic and found these. I think the two on the bottom are the closest and what I had remembered, but I'm not sure if they are exactly the same material or not. If those two (or any of the others) might help, you're welcome to them, PM your address and I'll mail them to you.

attachment.php

-Matt

Attachments

• samples.jpg
    samples.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Matt thanks for the gesture. I do believe those colors are still off. That is OK. It was more of a hope that they were still available than any project in mind. I do appreciate the effort though. Tough to find some of the truely beautiful acrylics that we once worked with.

WriteON

PSI has it. It is a beautiful blank when finished.

Quick View
Aquapearl Spalted Pearl 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. x 5 in. Pen Blank
Item #: AQP13X
Our Price: $3.95

Last edited:

KenV

Ed Davidson is still turning and still creating --- just not with pens.

He is still making exceptional yo-yos as well as,items using ornamental lathes.

Bill Baumback sold his business to Barry Gross a few years back. Bill had been having health issues. Will have to ask around to find out how he is doing.

jttheclockman

Ed Davidson is still turning and still creating --- just not with pens.

He is still making exceptional yo-yos as well as,items using ornamental lathes.

Bill Baumback sold his business to Barry Gross a few years back. Bill had been having health issues. Will have to ask around to find out how he is doing.

Bill was a great guy to do business with. Spent a lot of money with him:):)

WriteON

PSI has it. Spalted something. It is a beautiful blank when finished. If you cannot locate it I'll gladly find it for you. I have not read any of the posts.

Love to see the link please.

I think this is what you are looking for. If you need it for a pen and can't get one I might have one onboard. You can have it just simply replace it someday. Look this up on PSI

Aquapearl Spalted Pearl 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. x 5 in. Pen Blank
Item #: AQP13X
Our Price: $3.95

jttheclockman

PSI has it. Spalted something. It is a beautiful blank when finished. If you cannot locate it I'll gladly find it for you. I have not read any of the posts.

Is this the one you're referring to?

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/AQP13X.html

That is the one someone else suggested. I bet it is not the same thing because they probably do not make the one I have shown any more. But I may try a couple of these when I need an order from PSI again. Too bad it is only 3/4" X 3/4"

Thanks all.

WriteON

Is this the one you're referring to?

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/AQP13X.html

That is the one someone else suggested. I bet it is not the same thing because they probably do not make the one I have shown any more. But I may try a couple of these when I need an order from PSI again. Too bad it is only 3/4" X 3/4"

Thanks all.

It might be available in a slab. I'm pretty sure that's what you want. It looks real nice with a brass tube or white tube. I'll post some finish pens tomorrow and we'll see if that is the one you are looking for. The more I look at your posted pics I'm very sure that's it.

Last edited:

WriteON

One of my favorites. I might have used a white tube on 2, 3. The brass does show through on the others but that is the beauty of this Spalted Pearl blank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

jttheclockman

One of my favorites. I might have used a white tube on 2, 3. The brass does show through on the others but that is the beauty of this Spalted Pearl blank

Thanks for posting. If I need to put an order in for PSI I may just pick some up in the future. The pens do look nice. One of those blanks that you can change the color look by back painting different colors.

Top Bottom