Does anyone manufacture pen parts from scratch?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wade

This is something I have been thinking about for a while. Is there anyone on here that makes all parts of a pen including the mechanics? It's something i'd like to be able to do, as I finally have the CNC equipment to make some of the more difficult parts.

If anyone does, or knows someone who does and would be willing to mentor me a bit, I'd appreciate it. Please feel free to post here or PM me.

Thanks,
Wade in MN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

luke39uk

First time I've responded to any posts,although I have been lurking for some time.I make all the parts for my pens,except fountian pen nibs and feeds,clips,and mechs for ballpens and pencils.Everything else barrels,caps,bands,nib units,tops,inserts etc are made on my two lathes.

wade

Wow, thanks for all of the quick replies!

I'm just getting into the machining arena right now. I still have yet to machine something on my cnc lathe/mill, tho I do have it functional. I'm looking forward to eventually getting to the point of doing pen parts with relief carving/etching on them to complement or enhance the manually turned wood pieces.

I would also like to be able to do etching, etc directly on pen parts. I'm hoping to do that with a rotary axis system in the future.

Why types of materials have you used to make pen parts luke39uk? Do you use stuff like brass and copper, or do you go for other materials. Also, do you have any pics of your work?

Thanks,
Wade

pete00

Originally posted by luke39uk
<br />First time I've responded to any posts,although I have been lurking for some time.I make all the parts for my pens,except fountian pen nibs and feeds,clips,and mechs for ballpens and pencils.Everything else barrels,caps,bands,nib units,tops,inserts etc are made on my two lathes.

cool,dont suppose you could post some pics of your goodies huh?

pretty please....[:D]

wade

Well, I already had the Sherline model 4400 lathe with vertical milling column for about 6 years, and a bunch of tooling and accessories. All that cost me about $2500 if I remember correctly. The CNC accessories and upgrades were $1225 and the software I am using is Dolphin Cad/Cam which was around $650.

All of that gives me both a cnc milling machine and a cnc lathe with very good accuracy. I'm also using the CNC equipment to build myself some ornamental turning equipment as I sure can't afford to buy any of the antique ones.

Wade

luke39uk

Wade for metal parts I use Brass,which is then plated in either Gold,Platinum,or Nickel-Chrome.I also use solid .925 Sterling Silver for which I have my own registered hallmark to comply with UK law.Caps,barrels,and some nib units etc are all acrylic resin.Have a look at my photo album.I will post some more pictures when time allows.
Luke in snowbound central UK.

luke39uk

Papabear I use a small plating company close to my location in the UK.They are situated in what we call the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham,which is world famous for its quality.I'm sure if you ask around your local plating companies,you will find someone to do your plating for you.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Not wanting to hi-jack Wade's thread. I was going to say welcome to Bryan ( Luke ) and welcome him to the party, but you have been here much longer than me Bryan, why so quiet?

I would like to contact you for info on the Brummie jewellers if I may. Also did you enjoy the snow yesterday? I got stuck overnight in Hereford[:(]

luke39uk

Skiprat
I have kept my head down and remained quiet at this party just so I can watch and learn and gain ideas from the many talented people here,without wanting to draw attention to myself.My photography was awful and I've been practising,it took some time lol.It was only a week or so ago that I felt my photography was reasonable enough for me to post some pen photos in my album.And then I went and opened my big mouth and replied to Wades post about making your own pen parts.
Feel free to contact me for info about the Brummie PLATERS.I listened to the weather forecast and stayed at home yesterday and missed the snow.I gather it was really grim in Hereford,Malvern,and South Wales.

Pikebite

Welcome to the site Bryan - love your pens. Do you make any in wood?

I was in Leicestershire getting snowed in at my daughters birthday party. We had 24 6-year olds getting very excited at the snow was falling!

pete00

Originally posted by luke39uk
<br />Skiprat
.And then I went and opened my big mouth and replied to Wades post about making your own pen parts.

serves ya right for keeping your talent hidden all this time, your gonna need bandaids on your fingers answereing all the questions ..

you can use one hand typing to answering mine..[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

wade

Luke, I just looked at your album. Really nice pens you have there! So, I guess I will make you wear out your fingers with another reply &lt;grin&gt;.

Do you have any tips for people who are interested in making their own pen parts???? Instructions? Etc???

I'm really intersted in doing it, and I have a few ideas, but any tips would be most appreciated!

Wade

btboone

Hi Wade, I've made a few of my own parts. You'll probably find the clips to be the most challenging of the parts. A good place to start would be with a custom CNC engraved silver centerband. That will get your feet wet and add a lot of value to a more standard pen. Once you can do those pretty easily, straight pen blanks with engraving might come next, then fully contoured and engraved pens for a more high end option.

bobkeyes

Just for reference here is a link to a pen that is all custom cast and made, except for the nib. All the gold parts are solid 18k gold. They were cast using a centrifugal casting machine.

http://www.ciwriting.com/Ivory%20Pens.htm

JimGo

That is REALLY pretty Bob! Do you have the casting equipment, or did you send it out for casting? Did you use lost-wax?

luke39uk

Wade,
I can't give you any specific advice as I don't know what your cnc programming or centre lathe turning/engineering skills are like.Do you want to make Fountain pens as well as Rollerball and Ballpens? Anyway just a few tips I can pass on to you,is to put all your ideas/designs down on paper,and try and think everything through.If you can obtain any writing instruments have a look at some new and vintage pens for inspiration.Keep your basic pen designs as simple and easy to make as possible.Pay particular attention to dimensional accuracy to ensure parts fit together.Buy nibs and feeds and refills off the shelf from the kit suppliers,and work around those for your pen designs.Refills particularly,come in standard sizes worldwide.Keep chipping away at any problems you may encounter,but above all else have fun and enjoy yourself.If you need anything more detailed,let me know and I will try to help.

wade

Thanks for the tips. I've been drawing some of my ideas out in a notepad so I can keep a record of my thoughts (i'm only 34 and the brain is already going, too much on my mind I guess). As for my cnc programming and machining knowledge, well, I don't have much. I have done a lot of manual machining, but no cnc stuff, yet....

I like the idea of a custom turned and engraved centerband. I think I will try that when I get my rotary table. That could prove fun and interesting.

Thanks,
Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom