Does Anyone know about either of these 2 lathes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Hi everybody. Happy holidau weekend.

I have a question regarding a couple of lathes that PSI sells. I am brand new to woodturning and penturning. I have had some guidance as to what I need to be looking for in the way of tools, but I have a couple of questions for all of you on some specific lathes. I wanted to know if any of you out there have everused or currently do use either the "TCLPRO PSI TurnCrafterPro Midi Lathe" , or the "TCLPLUS PSI TurnCrafterPlus Lathe" ? If so , how have they worked for you? Have you had any major complaints or problems with them? And if any of you out there, do use the " TCLPRO " , does the headstock have the Morse Taper like the tailstock? questios questions questions... I know. In the most recent PSI catalog, the TCLPRO is located on page 50, and the TCLPLUS is on page 51. I TRULY APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK that any of y'all out there might have on either of these 2 machines. I do realize that I will need to upgrade either of them eventually, but to get started, which one if any do you recommend?

Thanks,
Ben C.

bchavez@unr.edu

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Ben, sorry I can't help you with either of those two lathes. But the most popular lathe right now is the Jet mini lathe. Not saying the other two aren't any good because I really don't know. But I know the Jet is very good. Hope that helps a little. [:)]

Fred in NC

These lathes are very similar to the Jet Mini.

One question in my mind is how to get replacement parts for PSI lathes. It would be good to ask PSI if they carry an inventory of parts.

I have the Jet Mini, and was able to get extra parts in a few days.

opfoto

Ben,
Jet Mini is the one I use as well....Very glad I saved a while longer to get it. Cost more but have had no problems to date. Insert usual disclaimer here.

pacmktg

I think Jet is also a great company and most everything in my shop is Jet except my lathe, which is the PSI Midi. I have had it since Christmas and it has done anything I ask so far. Fit and finish was fine and everything was a go from the time the box arrived. I just couldn't see spending that much more money for something with the same spec's and looked like it came out of the same factory. I am a happy customer.

Ben

Originally posted by pacmktg
<br />I think Jet is also a great company and most everything in my shop is Jet except my lathe, which is the PSI Midi. I have had it since Christmas and it has done anything I ask so far. Fit and finish was fine and everything was a go from the time the box arrived. I just couldn't see spending that much more money for something with the same spec's and looked like it came out of the same factory. I am a happy customer.

pacmktg,

Thanks for the info. When you say Midi , I am guessing that you mean the "Turn Crafter Pro". Does the headstock come with a #2 MT like the tailstock, or did you need to refit it with an adapter? I appreciate all of your help? Take care,

Ben C.

bchavez@unr.edu

KKingery

I have the PSI Turncrafter Pro. I like it. It works well for me. Having to change the belt for different speeds is no big deal. I think it was well worth the money I spent.

Ben

Originally posted by KKingery
<br />I have the PSI Turncrafter Pro. I like it. It works well for me. Having to change the belt for different speeds is no big deal. I think it was well worth the money I spent.

Thanks Ken. Does the headstock also have the #2MT that the tailstock does? In the PSI catalog, it just insn't all that clear. I was definately looking at this lathe as the best bang for my current buck. Thank you in aiding me in my decision. Have you ever needed to buy replacement parts, and if so was it a problem finding them? That seems to be the main question on this thread. I appreciate your guidance and help,

Ben C.

bchavez@unr.edu

driften

Just to put my 2 cents in. I would say look for a Jet Mini. I bought mine reconditioned for $170
from http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com you might be able to find someone local that does the same.
If I had to do it again though I would have bought the VS model. I ended up going way over budget anyways so
the saving on the non VS model were overshadowed. The Jet is a great lathe and worth ever cent.

Sorry I don't know much about the PSI lathes.

melogic

Ben,
I have the TCI Plus, variable speed. I like it a lot, My wife and I have turned probably 1,000 pens or more with it. I also have a 12" Craftsman that was my dads. I am in the market for a new bowl turning lathe primarily. If I had it all to do over, I would save, and get a Jet mini instead of the TCI Plus. I beleive the Jet will perform better over the long haul. The motor on my TCI Plus is getting a little weak after so many pens. It still performs for everything I need. The TCI Plus has a #1 MT.

KKingery

The only replacement item I have purchased for mine, was a new tail tailstock from Harbor freight. It has a #2, same as the head stock. I found that the tailstock that came with the lathe, wore out pretty fast. I attribute it somewhat to my being a novice. I know on my first few pens, I had it tightened way too tight. Somewhere in the penturning section, I had put up a pick of the new tail stock vs. the old one. If I can find it, I'll send the pic to you or post it here again.

KKingery

Ben - If you go to the front "home" page, scroll down to the bottom. At the bottom right, in the search area, type in: new live center and hit the search button. On the page it brings up, about half way down, you can see the post I put in on Feb 16th about the new center I bought for my Turncrafter pro. It might give you an idea.

SWOODWRKNG

Ben- I have a carba-tec lathe I bought back in 1997 from penn state it is a great little lathe but it has its limitations (length between centers and max. diameter of turning that can be turned) I have had only 1 problem just after the warranty run out the motor gave up on me and had to order another motor. Other than that 1 problem it has been a great little lathe. My next lathe will be the Jet variable speed lathe as mentioned in previous posts it is a strong lathe with lots of attachments available. If you can swing the inital price for the Jet I would recommend it. Just my $0.02 worth. hope it helped you .

JimGo

Ben,
I have the TurnCrafter Pro, and really like it. It has #2 Morse Tapers on both the head and tail stock, and the headstock is also threaded with 1"x8TPI. It has five speeds, although changing the speeds can be a bit problematic for me (probably because I'm dumb, and forget to loosten the motor about 1/2 the time). Fortunately, I think it takes the same replacement drive belt as the Jet, which means that our local Woodcraft has that part in stock. Other than that, I agree with Ken; it's a great value. In fact, I purchased the extension bed AND the duplicator for it from PSI.

Oh, and the 3 year warranty helps ease my mind a lot!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

jdavis

Ben, We just purchased a PSI TurnCrafter Plus Lathe (variable speed) and it is working fine. It has #1 MT in both the tailstock and headstock. Have not had it but a couple of weeks and the students are not having much trouble running it. We also are turning on a Carba-Tes model CML-3XL we bought several years ago from PSI. No problems with it either.I would buy another TCLPLUS lathe. All of this is a matter of preference. I am sure the Jet is a good lathe also. I have seen demostrations on the Jet at our summer conferences. Seem to wotk well. I buy alot of supplies from PSI and they have always been good to me. Good luck. Hope this helped.

Ben

I am thrilled by all of the incredible feedback that I have gotten so far on this thread. Thank you to everyone who has contributed... Now let's see 2 cents + 2 cents + 2 cents + 2......... That's a lot of cents! Which is great for me , because I have no sense! HAHA! Thanks again everybody and make sure to drive safely...

Ben

bchavez@unr.edu

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ben
<br />Now let's see 2 cents + 2 cents + 2 cents + 2......... That's a lot of cents!
As Senator Everett Dirksen once said "A billion here and a billion there...pretty soon you're talking about real money!" [:p]

gerberpens

Ben, Just read your original message and would like to say that I use the Turncrafter Pro lathe and have had no problems at all. The Pro model is very study and runs great. With all the money you will save on the Turncrafter Pro as opposed to the Jet mini, you can buy a lot of pen kits and wood.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom