Does anybody know beautiful?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

Where I can find 2" x 2" x 14 (up to 20") of exotic wood blanks at a reasonable price? I generally make pens, but I'd like to try my hand at wood flutes (generally referred to a Native American Flutes)? My goal is to make some very beautiful flutes, so I figure why not start with beautiful wood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Woodcraft and Rockler carry blanks that size. Also find a local hardwood supplier.

Your profile doesn't have any info about where you are. If it did there might be someone who could tell you of a local supplier.

gr8macbeth

I can help.

I saw your post. I don't much that is really exotic, but I have a lot of old growth walnut, cedar, and even some Brazilian cherry. I bought it all from a cabinet shop that closed down. I am including pictures from one of four truck loads it took to pick it all up.

Also I worked for an orthopedic company who just happens to make hip replacements among other joints. As a result I have a bunch of old reamers and long drills used to hollow out femurs. They work awesome on wood. All are made from surgical grade steel or stainless steel. I have hollowed out a couple of flutes with them, and I am happy to pass some on to you if you are interested.

I like trades or cash of courset am willing to just hook up a fellow woodworker also.

Walnut 2.jpg

Walnut.jpg

drills.jpg

dpstudios

Where you are in eastern Tn. there should be an abundance of sawmills of all sizes. I have found that some of the smaller peckerwood mills have some of the nicest lumber. Most have scrap piles that you can pick through for a very small fee or for free. Visit the small towns in your area and ask around at the general store or hardware or lumber yard. Good luck on your quest.

Dan

Top Bottom