Do you wear a faceshield?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

I wear one. Here'sanother question: What brand is a good (safe) one? Mine is from Harbor Freight and it works well for keeping small chips from hitting me in the face but I hate to think of something big hitting it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I wear one. Here'sanother question: What brand is a good (safe) one? Mine is from Harbor Freight and it works well for keeping small chips from hitting me in the face but I hate to think of something big hitting it.
I wear a Trend Airshield Pro. It's pricey, but it's worth every penny. It is s good shield and also a great filter.

PTsideshow

I have one that I have used for grinding and other metal fabricating type work. I can say that it is great, I use it now for wood turning. I'm thinking of get one just to leave in the wood shop, as to not have to go back and forth to get it. I no longer like the old style face shield type.
An added thing is you can get replacement shields at woodcraft.
That price isn't half bad other than shipping will be added.
:clown:

carpblaster

I just orderd the bionic this week after my experience,I look at it this way now, If your a hunter do you use a safty belt in the tree stand, I always used one, and had a back up hooked to a rope going to the ground at my main stand,like arock climber carabinger,now the safety vest are out since i cant hunt no more but on the ground, the bowls have busted two face shields, one on the right side ,and one of the head restraints wont buckle in the plastic now so duct tape, always wear glasses if not the shield
carpblaster

randyrls

When I am turning pens, I have a "shroud" that covers the pen. It has a clear lexan top and a dust collector hose in the rear. It gets almost all the shavings and sanding dust, and CA fumes. I copied it from someone here (Curtis?)

For larger pieces, a face shield and hearing protection as appropriate. I also have a heavy duty shield for chain saw work.

Last edited:
When I started turning, I wore safety glasses and dust mask. My glasses were foggy all the time. I bought some "anti-fog" safety glasses that still fog. So I bought me a face shield mask with a mesh screen instead of an acrylic one.
I feel now protected in both my face and my lungs as I can wear dust mask with my face mask and nothing gets fogged up.
When wet sanding, I only use safety glasses.
Question: What is a Triton?

clapiana

I used to use safety glasses for everything until a chunk of wood got loose and flew off across the floor. amazon had an order for a shield that same hour :) i got one similar to the home depot one mentioned above. On pens I use my safety glasses for the most part and if something feels iffy I put on my shield. Anything bigger then a pen blank I go for the shield.

Last edited:

bitshird

After a well known Professional turner from Memphis was killed last year, I use a fairly decent face shield Bionic is my next toy.
As a side note, at a Stuart Batty demo, he told us that at lathe speeds around 1000 RPM a piece of wood will fall down if it comes loose from the chuck, and he's correct, BUT what happens when it still weighs 25 0r 30 pounds and bounces off the lathe bed. I caught one in the gut a few months back, I've also dislodged one turning about 1500 to 1700 RPM it flew to the other side of the lathe.
Take a look at the headgear Richard Raffan uses, I think it's a Trend.
I only wear safety glasses doing Pens and Handles unless I'm turning Cocobolo or something I know will irritate my lungs or skin, I have a semi efficient dust collector, a Dust Deputy Cyclonic collector and it work rather well, BUT head protection is a must for heavier things like bowls or long spindles.

Andrew_K99

I'll be picking up a full face shield this weekend! I do always wear glasses.

The crazy part (for me) is that this happened only minutes away from my house. I've probably walked my dog past the house hundreds of times. I only heard about this from reading this thread.

76winger

I've looked for face shields in the stores before but never found anything I thought was more that cheap crap. :frown:

Thanks to those that posted links to some better equipment. Are there any other good options? I like the looks of the trend shield, but the price is a little high for me at $375, Maybe couple the bionic with my Bicycle helmet and see what I come up with! :wink:

Andrew_K99

I've looked for face shields in the stores before but never found anything I thought was more that cheap crap. :frown:

Thanks to those that posted links to some better equipment. Are there any other good options? I like the looks of the trend shield, but the price is a little high for me at $375, Maybe couple the bionic with my Bicycle helmet and see what I come up with! :wink:
This is the one I intend to pick up. Doesn't have all the bells ans whistles the thrend does but it's 1/10th the price.

Professional Face Shield - Lee Valley Tools

LeeR

Whoa. Wow.

I use a cheap, $4.00 face shield from Harbor Freight. Maybe I should look into a slightly better one. Wow.

i had one of those to begin with, when I could not find what I really wanted. I use it when spliiting firewood into pieces of kindling, and it is "maybe" OK for that. But it jsut seemed to flimsy to offer much protection, and I thought the lens was not particularly clear. And yes .. I did peel off the blue protective film! ... after a few days :tongue:

My next face shield was a little better, but adjusted like a baseball cap -- little strip of plastic with holes, and you snap the pins thru them. I hated this one, since it was either too loose or too tight. My current one is from Woodcraft. I think I got it for $25 or so, so it is not an industrial strength model. But it has a knob on back to dial in the size, making it easy to adjust, and very comfortable. Key to wanting to grab it every time I turn something.

Another thing to aid in comfort is to wear a knit cap with face shield. It cushions the grip of the face shield. Without one, I tend to get headaches. I am probably keeping the tension a bit too high, but it bugs me when I look down and have the face shield tip or slip off.

Last edited:

76winger

you guys need to check out this:
"Uvex S8510 Bionic Shield, Black Matte Face Shield, Clear Polycarbonate Anti-Fog/Hardcoat Lens"
Tools & Home Improvement; $32.27
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com

And if fogging isn't an issue for you, it looks like the S8500 would save you a few more bucks at $27.12:
Amazon.com: Sperian Protection S8500 Bionic Face Shield: Automotive
It says Sperian, but the replacement shield show Uvex, so I'm guessing they're both by the same manufacturer.

watch_art

Face shield all the time. If just drilling then breather mask. With as many specks and marks on my shield as I get, I'd be blind with out it. :)

nightowl

I almost always use a faceshield unless I am sanding. I have had bowl blanks break apart and pieces hit me in my face mask before. One in particular hit hard enough to really jar my head. Always thought that could have been the killer piece there.

Andrew_K99

I almost always use a faceshield unless I am sanding. I have had bowl blanks break apart and pieces hit me in my face mask before. One in particular hit hard enough to really jar my head. Always thought that could have been the killer piece there.
FYI sanding can be just as bad if not worse with some things. The heat generated can cause expansion which can lead to blow outs.

Top Bottom