Do you use titanium often? Sources?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Pack

If you make pens to sell at shows, you have probably considered this same question. If you have, I am curious how you have dealt with this dilemma...

I have been making pens and other small turnings and selling at craft shows for going on 4 years now. The pens are my biggest concern. I started with basic Berea 24kt and "upgrade gold" platings for all pens, but was disappointed in how quickly the plating wore off on the pens I carried in my own pocket. In just a couple of months, the nib end of a 7mm slimline was showing base metal instead of gold.

I currently use several other 24k "upgrade gold" kits from Berea. I have not noticed as much wear on them in my own pocket as I did with the 7mm, but wonder if my customers do. I have had no complaints about wear yet, but do wonder if I have any upset customers out there.

I switched to titanium 7mm pens from Berea, but the price quickly went up to $7+, even at the 100 price, so I went to Penn State @ $4.95 or so. Both give extremely good wear, and are attractive kits. Prices on other titanium kits (Sierra, Churchill, Rolllerball, Fountain, ...) range from $8 - $15, either at Penn State or Berea.

If I was making just a few pens to give away, or for high end customers, I wouldn't worry about the cost of titanium or platinum or such, but I am making them, hopefully, in fairly large quantities to sell at a reasonable profit at craft shows. The price point for a slimline pen is $20; the same pen priced at $25 just does not sell. Made of titanium that will keep its color almost forever or made with a cheap gold plating that will wear in no time at all, the price point is the same. The customer expects a gold pen to stay gold.

You get the idea. Gold plating vs. titanium; reasonable price and sell a bunch vs. higher prices and sell a couple. Making an outstanding product mainly for fun vs. making a good product for profit. A dillema.

I'm curious how you have dealt with this situation. Do you sell mostly titanium or mostly the typical gold plated pens?

If you do find titanium kits at a good price, would you be willing to share your sources?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome to our forum!!!!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18413&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=titanium,,gold

Try this for starters, there are several other threads on the same topic.

mrcook4570

I don't make or sell any 24k, upgrade gold, or 10k kits. I know they are inferior and don't want my name associated with poor quality merchandise. I sell only titanium gold, black titanium, platinum (or rhodium), and chrome.

Slimlines in titanium gold are available in the $3 range from arizona silhouette at the 100+ quantity. I try to order only when I need a large quantity to maximize savings. BB will allow you to mix n match platings for the quantity discount. Same goes for CSU.

I have a sign on my table that describes the quality of the parts that I use and the quality of my finish. Customers frequently make positive comments and purchases after reading the sign.

Rifleman1776

You will find that most who take pride in their pens eventually 'graduate' to titanium gold exclusively. I use Tn and Rhodium for silver color. My pens didn't sell well until I went to higher end kits and the better platings and raised my prices accordingly. Folks can buy junk anywhere. Only you can provide hand crafted quality.

cdcarter

Joe,

I agree with Rifleman. I'm not an expert on selling pens, but I can tell you that for many types of products, a price that is too low will frighten people off. People intuitively know you can't make money selling anything handmade for $20. Heck, you can't make a paper napkin puppet for that and stay whole after you take into account your marketing costs and overhead.

A lot depends on the environment in which you're selling. If you try to sell on Ebay, you're competing with people selling trash for $10, and unless you really build an online presence, you're not getting anywhere. The same can be true locally.

I sell my pens by word of mouth. People see somebody else with one, and they ask how they can get one. It's a craft, not a commodity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom