Do You Sell Your Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodtod11

I have seen a lot of custom pens on E bay for sale, but I never see any "bids". I was wondering, do any of you sell yours? How well and where do you sell? If you do on Ebay, how do you do there? One day I want to try to sell mine, but for now, I make them for friends.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Exabian

People have asked this question on here before so I would look that up for some ideas. But to answer your question I sell from time to time. There are people on here that make and sale pen as a business. Some that make pens as a hobby and sale when the opportunity presents its self and those that just turn baby turn.

As far as eBay I tried it but to many low ballers on the site to really get a good price for your work. I'm on ETSY now and I like it. There are others here that are on ETSY as well. check it out.

I sell my pens every Sunday at a local crafts fair. When people see something that they like, but have no money at the moment, they take one of my business card, call me later and come to my home to purchase. I am in the process of getting a web page where people can buy through PayPal.
So far, I have been selling my pens very well.

Sataro

I sell my pens through word of mouth mainly. I do not use eBay or Etsy. I've started a website & beginning to pick up a few sales that way. I sell enough that it has easily paid for all of my equipment plus some. Bu my sales are not a paying business but just a hobby that pays for itself.

Roughly two weeks ago I an article, or rather a Primer on selling. to Wayne Racinowski (wrainowski) for submission into the library. He is transfering what I have written and putting it into a PDF file.

I did not cover about Web based sales to the extent of Craft Show/fair environment. HOWEVER I will expound on my understand and experience in the area of internet marketing.

Etsy, Yes does put forth a fertile zone of selling. BUT how many pens as we make are on that site? as I write this I, searched on Etsy, for Pen in Woodworking sub category Office... over 9,250 listings... on eBay, listed over 4,000 hand made pens under the category, of Collectables - Pen and Writing instruments. Now stating that, same search only in Business and Industrial. of Turned pens less than 40 pens and the prices are in all honestly low balling cost.
So the primary reality is that you as a potential Vendor at Art & Craft Fairs, Local Festivals, County fairs, etc. Is really the first step On the simple side an intitial investment in tables, chairs, Display stands, money box, a smart phone or tablet, not to forget some method of hauling your product whether it is a tub or boxes... I will say that is cheaper than wasting time on Etsy or ebay or the multitude of website similar to either.
Now understand please that starting out you have to build a clientele. You will not be able to do that from any pre designed or your own web site. Fact is that who knows you really. Outside of your neighborhood, workplace, City? So jumping in feet first into the world wide web with thousand of others. you will be a minnow in ocean.

I am not trying to dissuade you from starting up. I am hopefully showing that small steps forward is wiser than falling on your face because your laces are tied.

Drb007

My 13 yo daughter sells pens to build her college account. She is averaging 3 more pens for every one she sells. At this point she has to work to keep up!

JH Customs

I never intended to sell pens, I made several bad ones, and then took the time and made myself a Woodcraft bullet pen. One person saw it, ordered 4, and that's what started it. I do all word of mouth and business cards. I've done a few shows and did really well at the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo. Had a booth for a weekend and sold about 30 pens in 2 days and have had several contact me from seeing me there. The nice thing for me is that I have a full time job so this is still a hobby, but you can definitely make it into a good side business. Just don't lose the thrill of turning by focusing on making money!

OKLAHOMAN

... ETSY? Do you see quality art listed on these sites? ...

Unequivocally, YES. Take a look at Trobee pens https://www.etsy.com/shop/TrobeePens - his prices run from $25 to $6000. His work is nice. I'd call it quality art. And apparently 430 people agree (100% positive feedback).

Mike has taken pen SELLING and MERCHANDISING to a new level on the web. His talents are as much merchandising as they are craftsmanship. Read his descriptions, look at his photos, study his lay-out, you'll see professionalism on each page, so I agree but not everyone is willing or capable of taking those extra steps and investing, yes investing the time, effort and money Mike has.

OOPS

Do not think that just because you have a web site that you will suddenly see orders flowing in. A web site is the digital equivalent of printing a catalog of your products, except that its easier to add and subtract from a web site.

Once your "catalog" is printed, no one will buy from it unless you have a way of getting it into the hands of buyers. Etsy has been able to attract people who are interested in these types of products, but there is competition. If you make a website, you need to have sample pens in your pocket and a stack of business cards showing them where they can go online and see all of your products. If you are not excited about that type of self-promotion, then Etsy might be a good starting point.

RickLong

Sell at only juried art/craft shows (~20 shows a year 90% of the shows run from Sept to March), wholesale to about two dozen stores, and sell online ETSY and web site (links in my sig).

I found it takes a lot of hard work but if you work at it everyday in a short while you will be amazed...

Rick

panamag8or

Unequivocally, YES. Take a look at Trobee pens https://www.etsy.com/shop/TrobeePens - his prices run from $25 to $6000. His work is nice. I'd call it quality art. And apparently 430 people agree (100% positive feedback).

Mike has taken pen SELLING and MERCHANDISING to a new level on the web. His talents are as much merchandising as they are craftsmanship. Read his descriptions, look at his photos, study his lay-out, you'll see professionalism on each page, so I agree but not everyone is willing or capable of taking those extra steps and investing, yes investing the time, effort and money Mike has.

I think he's single-handedly keeping you and Ed in business, lol.
Whenever you guys have new blanks, and they sell out quickly, guaranteed they show up as finished pens in his shop within a week. But, he averages more than a pen a day in sales, so it's working.
Can you tell I've been paying attention to his business?:biggrin:

tim self

My original response was in regards to hanging art. Or the type you would typically see at a high end art show. Yes his work is comparable to many here and worth the money.

Chasper

In order of volume we sell through the following methods
1. About 30 art shows per year
2. A dozen or so wholesale accounts
3. Average 3-4 per week as repeat buys and referrals from previous customers.
4. A few pens now and then on etsy

We never sell to friends, family, neighbors or co-workers; but we do give away a few pens to them.
We had a online site that was selling 2-3 pens per week but we took it down. Too time consuming for the small volume of sales it generated.

jttheclockman

There is a whole forum about Marketing and selling a few forums down. Try that one and maybe look back at some past posts and you will get even more complete answers.

Top Bottom