Which do you prefer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I'm down to my last few Baron and Jr. Gents. I'm reordering but I can't see ordering both styles. I started with Barons before the Jr Gents but basically there the same pen.

If you were to order either could you explain why ?

thanks

I'm leaning towards one verses the other:rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I'm down to my last few Baron and Jr. Gents. I'm reordering but I can't see ordering both styles. I started with Barons before the Jr Gents but basically there the same pen.

If you were to order either could you explain why ?

thanks

I'm leaning towards one verses the other:rolleyes:

Price and availability.

Lin.

Russianwolf

Jr. Gent - Reason is the metal plating on the coupler instead of the black enamel. the enamel wears off too quickly.

BUT, I hear that some are having problems with the threads on the plastic cap piece, and that may effect your decision.

jkeithrussell

Neither. I would get the Triton from Exotic Blanks. Why? Because the Baron has those ugly black threads that turn copper colored with ordinary use, and the Gent has multiple defects (plastic thread coupler works loose, cap/clip assembly is too big for the tube about half of the time, etc.). Triton has none of these problems and is cheaper.

omb76

I like the Jr. Gent's better, however I've been running into problems with the ones I've recently purchased. The threads are not working smoothly and the problem with the cap not staying tight is worse now. I think they have redesigned them because the parts from my newer kits are not interchangeable with older ones. However, I do like the fact that the nib on the Gent is a little bigger and the entire pen in general seems to be of a higher quality to me than the Baron. Another plus to the Gent is that the drill bits, bushings, tubes, etc are all interchangable with the Jr. Statesman, Victor, Marshall, & Venus.

toddlajoie

I have to assume you are talking about the Apprentice Jr Gent, and not the Jr Gent 2, as the JG2 is not, IMO nearly the same as the Baron (significant size difference...) I may be wrong, but the Jr Gent 1's (Apprentice now) that I have gotten (the gold Ti from Smitty) still have the black threads like the barons have, and if it were between the 2, I would generally go with the Barron, as the end diameters are the same on both ends of the tubes (1 size for the body, another for the cap) where the JG1's have 4 different measurements, and since I do my turning without bushings between centers, that means a LOT more measurements and numbers floating around (lonely and carefree) in my head...

I do like the tapered looks of the JG1s, so I would still do them for some things, but if I want to kick stuff out, the extra measurement is a turn off...

Now if you meant the JG2, then that is a different ball of wax, I love the JG2's size and feel well beyond the Barons...

PenMan1

I agree with Keith. My Preference is the Triton. It seems to be a bit of an upgrade from the jr gent II, has none of the issues of the gents, had a centerband and cap decoration that are easily removed for customization, and IMHO the very slightly shorter bottom barrel gives this set a much better balance.

The JR Gent II tooling (bits and bushings ) are interchangeable with the JR. And JR Gent II tubes can be used with the Triton just by stretching the spring.

Rangertrek

My new favorite is the Triton. I have had problems with both Baron & Jr Gent with the center band couplers or customer destroying the threads trying to cap the pen.
You may want to give the Triton a try.

zig613

I make both the JR Gent II (titanium gold & black) and the Triton (chrome). Both are excellent pens. The JR Gent II has an advantage because it is available in titanium gold and the Triton is only 24k gold and the price point is a little lower for the JR Gent II. I have experienced a couple minor glitches with both pens, but nothing too big that would sent me to another pen. If I had to make a choice between to two it would be the JR Gent II because of the plating and lower price point.

Wade

Top Bottom