Do you mark/identify the items you make?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

I am wondering if anyone marks/identifies the items that they make and if so how? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

I usually just go off of memory. I can identify any of my kits and then I just compare materials or look it up if I forget.

But I also don't put them out like crazy like some of the guys here!

Quality Pen

This has been brought up not that long ago...

It seemed like the takeaway for me was... there's nothing out there to "mark" your pen without defacing it somehow. I sure would like a method that was reliable and didn't ruin the finish of a pen.

Ultimately, I've been assured that you'll generally know what is yours!

Wildman

Wildman

Ask yourself these questions;

Will any markings made detract or enhance appearance?

What tooling or equipment do I need?

Do you have the time to devote to learning or patience & skill required?

Here is only one example enhancing appearance I am talking about.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/woodburned-pens-127531/

So yes you can mark or make blanks differently than what everyone else is doing. How you manipulate or combine colors or materials entirely up to you! You can buy tools & equipment for burning, carving, cutting, and engraving, or printing.

You can see so many great examples of how too right here IAP!

avbill

Just saw this

NO LOGO ~There is no visible branding on the surface of Pen Type-A. Since a pen is such an intimate object, it is important for us to be extremely discreet with our logo. Who wants to see someone else's name on something they own?

However, hidden under the coin screw is the tiny CW&T inscription. It's there just in case you or your grandkids want to figure out where it came from.

its_virgil

This has been discussed many times. Some searching the archives should yield information on what some do...micro branding irons, engraving on the back side of the clips, marking on the transmission of ballpoints, I know a couple of guys who have their own laser engravers and engrave very small ID marks and a couple who engrave their (small)signature around one of the barrels on the end.

One thing I wish I had done, but it is way too late for me, is to take a picture of each pen and design a spread sheet with the picture, kit info, material info, dates and where the pen is now. There are a couple of pen specific data bases available for doing this. It would be interesting to look back over the years and see where my opens have ended. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

papaturner

I Do not mark each pen but in an effort to id pens I keep a journal of each pen.
I record the pen number along with the style the material of the blank plus cost info.
I give with each pen a card with pen style material and refill. I tell the customer if there is a problem call me with the pen number and I will be able help them solve any problem they might have.
This is certainly not fool proof but so far the few that have contacted me did have the pen number.

Mr Vic

I have a inventory spreadsheet with each pen, stopper or other items listed. It also calculates the retail price based on kit cost, blank material cost, labor and other add-ons such as decals or laser etching.

I track the sales on a second worksheet which pulls the data from the inventory. The page also tracks the taxes collected, discounts, commision fees or credit card processing fees.

With the pen I give them a business card with the Serial Number, warranty and other info on the back.

Attachments

• BusCardBack.jpg
    BusCardBack.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 136
Top Bottom