Do You Have A Pen Press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I have been using my bench vise to assemble pens. The problem is that it has just enough travel to fit a longer pen like the nib end of Euro, and it doesn't leave any room for plastic or such to cover the jaws. Tape works, sort of. I am thinking about getting a press. Are they any faster than a vise?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Si90

Bench vice for me and if the pen is too long then I use my Drill press - I know before anyone says!:)

walshjp17

I'm getting ready to turn a couple of MT2 inserts for the head and tail stock to use as a pen press. Lots of power and control using the tail stock to press the parts together ... AND nothing to buy.

Whaler

I use a pen press as I feel that it gives you the best control over the force being used. With the drill press, lathe, clamps etc you can't feel when you hit resistance that may crack the blank if you keep pressing. I have had this one for about 9 years and it's still going strong.

turncrazy43

I use a pen press too for the control of force aspect. The wall mounted version shown above is a great idea. I will try that. I took the fabric chair leg bottoms with peel offs (small) and apply them to the ram. This protects the ram from marring the metal finish on pen parts.

kovalcik

I used my drill press for years. Recently had to do a couple demos, so I bought a press. (I think it is a Milescraft.) I find the press gives me better control for zeroing in 7mm transmissions. For normal assembly operations though (finial, nib, center bands), they both work about the same. The portability is the big selling point for me. I have also used clamps and vises. They work okay but I had problems keeping everything together and straight.

The Penguin

I'm getting ready to turn a couple of MT2 inserts for the head and tail stock to use as a pen press. Lots of power and control using the tail stock to press the parts together ... AND nothing to buy.
good idea...but...then you'll have to remove whatever you have on the spindle and in the tailstock every time you need to press something.

then maybe knock out your inserts and put them back on.

frugal, yes

time-efficient...no.

monark88

I have been using my bench vise to assemble pens. The problem is that it has just enough travel to fit a longer pen like the nib end of Euro, and it doesn't leave any room for plastic or such to cover the jaws. Tape works, sort of. I am thinking about getting a press. Are they any faster than a vise?

A one ton arbor press from HF.

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
Same for me

I use a pen press as I feel that it gives you the best control over the force being used. With the drill press, lathe, clamps etc you can't feel when you hit resistance that may crack the blank if you keep pressing. I have had this one for about 9 years and it's still going strong.

I have been using this same style for about 13 years now works wonderful. Also got a setup for my lathe a few years ago and have never used it.

lorbay

Been doing it this way for years, best control ever.

Lin

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Like John, I made a couple of maple inserts for the lathe and covered the ends with leather. About a 1/2" tenon on a 3/4 piece of round stock. One fits in the headstock chuck and the other in a jacobs chuck in the tail stock.

GrahamColwell

I use a small bench top drill press... 2 modifications.

1 - I have a 1/4" bolt chucked into the press, and a piece of Corian glued to the bolt head... So the part that presses is smooth and flat.
2 - I have a "Stairstep" of 3 pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together... So there is a step 3/4 " up from drill table, 1 1/2" and 2 1/4 ". This way I use the top step when pushing in tips or finials, bottom for transmissions... No need to change height of press, and the steps are smooth and flat.

Works great.

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here's a look at mine!

Pen press (Small).jpg
Clik on the pic to make it larger!

HamTurns

I like your wall mount idea, I've got to give that a try. I bet it helps keep the parts more easily aligned, letting gravity help.

Happy turning
Tom

I have used several different systems but I like the bench vise best of all. mine is a smaller vise but the jaws open 6" and I glued a piece of 3/8" rubber on each jaw and it works great. I like the control of the screw mechanism you have with it.

ironman123

Do You Have A Pen Press?

I tried the hand squeeze type clamp, drill press and HF 1Ton Arbor then decided to make me a screw type press for better control of pressing. I have been real pleased with that.

Ray

monark88

76winger

I've got a quick release woodworking vise from Rockler, with scrap oak added to the jaws. It works great for all of my assembly needs.

mvande21

Be creative with the clamps you can buy. Go to Mcmaster.com and search under clamps or toggle clamps. You can for sure make something for under $20.

Top Bottom