Do you backpaint TruStone blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello All,

I've got a couple TruStone blanks I'll be using for pens. BTW's website says they're very opaque but I just want to make sure I don't need to backpaint them. I'm using the Bloody Basin and White w/Black Web designs. Has anybody used these that can give me some firsthand advice on if I should backpaint the blanks or not?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hello All,

I've got a couple TruStone blanks I'll be using for pens. BTW's website says they're very opaque but I just want to make sure I don't need to backpaint them. I'm using the Bloody Basin and White w/Black Web designs. Has anybody used these that can give me some firsthand advice on if I should backpaint the blanks or not?

Thanks.

Hi Jay, a very timely question. I just finished these letter openers just a few weeks ago as Christmas presents to my three adult children. I did not use any backpaint. These TruStone blanks I have had for 3-4 years, so they may be from the original factory stock.

You may be aware, but if not, here is what I have heard; and please anyone correct me if this history is not correct.

edit, these are all gold matrix.

The original manufacturer of Trustone had "issues" and is not the same company that makes the blanks now. So the blanks I have and used, may be a different formulation that what is currently available. What for me may have been a very dense formulation may not be the same as recent iterations.

So, for me - no backpaint. My opinion only - when examining the letter openers, no hint of the brass tube. (Two hairline fractures on one due to me getting the blank too hot during drilling, but no real visual issues for my audience!)

While these blanks were in my cabinet for several years, they were easy to turn (with caution and experience) and polished up nicely. I need to buy some of the new stock and compare. The old stock was great and the newer stuff may be just as fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Pretty much the same as Mark. When the price went sky high I stopped buying. Still have some left but only for "special" orders where I can recoup the cost. But that isn't the question. Answer - I have never painted a tube or the blank and have never had an issue. The material is, as I understand it, stone dust and 10% resin. Pretty much opaque IMHO.

magpens

The Trustones that I turned required no painting. . They are totally opaque down to the thinnest I have turned them, which was a wall thickness of about 0.040" (Sierra).

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was able to drill the blank and epoxy the tubes in so I can turn it on my day off tomorrow, which still leaves me the whole weekend!

jttheclockman

Not all trustone is the same even the older stuff. Alot depends on how and what kit you are using. Some kits allow for more material left behind so this is not a yes or no question. I believe those you will have no problem with. But I always like to err on the caution side.

Top Bottom