Do you backpaint TruStone blanks? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 287

Default Do you backpaint TruStone blanks?

Hello All,

I've got a couple TruStone blanks I'll be using for pens. BTW's website says they're very opaque but I just want to make sure I don't need to backpaint them. I'm using the Bloody Basin and White w/Black Web designs. Has anybody used these that can give me some firsthand advice on if I should backpaint the blanks or not?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedTurner View Post
Hello All,

I've got a couple TruStone blanks I'll be using for pens. BTW's website says they're very opaque but I just want to make sure I don't need to backpaint them. I'm using the Bloody Basin and White w/Black Web designs. Has anybody used these that can give me some firsthand advice on if I should backpaint the blanks or not?

Thanks.
Hi Jay, a very timely question. I just finished these letter openers just a few weeks ago as Christmas presents to my three adult children. I did not use any backpaint. These TruStone blanks I have had for 3-4 years, so they may be from the original factory stock.

You may be aware, but if not, here is what I have heard; and please anyone correct me if this history is not correct.

edit, these are all gold matrix.

The original manufacturer of Trustone had "issues" and is not the same company that makes the blanks now. So the blanks I have and used, may be a different formulation that what is currently available. What for me may have been a very dense formulation may not be the same as recent iterations.

So, for me - no backpaint. My opinion only - when examining the letter openers, no hint of the brass tube. (Two hairline fractures on one due to me getting the blank too hot during drilling, but no real visual issues for my audience!)

While these blanks were in my cabinet for several years, they were easy to turn (with caution and experience) and polished up nicely. I need to buy some of the new stock and compare. The old stock was great and the newer stuff may be just as fine.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1158.jpg  

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.

Last edited by mark james; 12-13-2018 at 05:50 PM.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Pretty much the same as Mark. When the price went sky high I stopped buying. Still have some left but only for "special" orders where I can recoup the cost. But that isn't the question. Answer - I have never painted a tube or the blank and have never had an issue. The material is, as I understand it, stone dust and 10% resin. Pretty much opaque IMHO.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 76

The Trustones that I turned required no painting. . They are totally opaque down to the thinnest I have turned them, which was a wall thickness of about 0.040" (Sierra).
Old 12-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
KLJ

Photos: 32

Same here, never painted mine and they were fine.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 287

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was able to drill the blank and epoxy the tubes in so I can turn it on my day off tomorrow, which still leaves me the whole weekend!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Not all trustone is the same even the older stuff. Alot depends on how and what kit you are using. Some kits allow for more material left behind so this is not a yes or no question. I believe those you will have no problem with. But I always like to err on the caution side.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads