Which do people prefer for slimlines- 7mm or 9/32"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I have been doing a bunch of drilling (now that I have my PHD vise!). I was getting ready to drill a blank that I had made by putting together different parts. One half of the blank was predrilled for a 7mm pen. I had forgotten that I have the 9/32" drill bit that I've been using for slimlines. So when I put this blank on the drill, I started at the end where the already drilled part was, and was going to feed the bit through that part. When it wouldn't fit inside the already drilled area, I started panicking, thinking I'd been using the wrong drill bit for all of these slimlines I had just drilled. Then I remembered that when I ordered a 7mm bit, I had been sent the 9/32" one. But in the process of trying to figure this all out, I tried out some tubes in what I had drilled and they just seemed awfully loose in that 9/32" hole. I use GG, so I know it expands. But I'm just wondering if everyone uses the 9/32" bit for slimlines or if you use a 7mm bit?

alamocdc

Angela, I originally used the 7mm bit that came with my starter kit. I still will occasionally, but now I mostly use a letter J or I bit (.277" and .272" respectively) depending on the material I'm working with. 9/32" is just too big (.281"). The only reason I moved to my letter bits is b/c my 7mm is a brad point and I didn't like how much it tended to want to follow the grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom