Do JD blanks need to be stabilized?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all, new to the group here. Picking up some great info through the library and all your posts.

Recently purchased a 10 pack of Jack Daniels pen blanks. A couple appear to have cracks in them.

Are you guys stabilizing these blanks before turning? If so, what is the best method that will still preserve some of that great aroma?

Don't want to risk blowing out the whole lot so I figured I'd check with the seasoned veterans first.

Thanks
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Welcome to the IAP. I dont think they need stabilized.
The JD blanks i have gotten were from woodturningz.com. Ready to turn. I've not had any problems with them.
There is a vendor here that sells them also.

Harry (love the smell) M

gimpy

Hello all, new to the group here. Picking up some great info through the library and all your posts.

Recently purchased a 10 pack of Jack Daniels pen blanks. A couple appear to have cracks in them.

Are you guys stabilizing these blanks before turning? If so, what is the best method that will still preserve some of that great aroma?

Don't want to risk blowing out the whole lot so I figured I'd check with the seasoned veterans first.

Thanks
Mike

Welcome,

If there are cracks, you could fill them with ca

lyonsacc

I have just turned some. The white oak has an open grain, so you may get some ridges/valleys along the grain lines. I used a couple coats of sanding sealer to smooth the whole thing out once it was turned to size.

Carl Fisher

If they are true barrel staves, then no.

White oak is filled with tannins that naturally prevent moisture penetration which is one of the reasons it is chosen for barrels. There is some penetration by the whisky as it ages over a long period of time, but typically it's not very deep.

We have tried stabilizing them under vacuum but found that they took on almost no weight.

So from someone who has been there and done that and does a lot of work with whisky and wine barrel wood, definitely a waste of time.

panamag8or

One of the etsy sellers leaves a small section unfinished, so the end user can dab a drop of JD (or whichever barrel the blank comes from), and have the aroma all the time. Not sure how well that would go over at a work meeting, though...

"So, Bob, have you been drinking at your desk? Nice pen, by the way."

edstreet

Lets talk about cracks for a moment.

Cracks can be either active or passive.

An active crack, such as when the wood is drying or undergoing changes, i.e. drying/weather/humidity/saturation, will continue to crack until it's equilibrium point is reached then it will slow down but never truly stop as some changes can cause it to grow even more.

A passive crack is one that has cracked as a result of some traumatic event, i.e. drying, sudden drop in moisture content etc and is no longer growing. It is a weak point in the structure and should be addressed with some type of resin, bonding agent or similar.

Adding any type of glue/epoxy to an active crack will only break and damage the glue joint and cause more headache down the road. The only way to deal with active cracks is to rate limit lost of moisture in the wood by a controlled drying process, i.e. kiln.

Adding any type of glue/epoxy to a passive crack will strengthen the weakened area and build up the gap, UNTIL it turns active and grows more. Things like change in saturation point, humidity, weather, location and a slew of other things can cause this to happen.

Stabilizing helps greatly on passive cracks. It helps by securing the fibers with resin and allowing them not to absorb things like water, moisture, fluid and the like. This in turn removes the fibers need to move. Whatever is currently in the fibers will stay in the fibers forever and also hinder uptake of the resin. This is why tannins, waxes, varnishes, water and everything else needs to be out of the material before it is stabilized, else you are shooting yourself in the foot and causing more problems down the road.

When evaluating wood to be stabilized you need to look at several points and they are very vast to list every one of them but include weight of the final product, material harmonics, environment the product will be used, how hard/brittle/stable the wood is.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Thanks for all the info. My wife has me making seam rippers and stilettos for all her quilting friends so I haven't had a chance to turn these yet. Glad I haven't though since I just now saw the rest of the replies. You guys are a great resource!

Top Bottom