Do I have to be even with the bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harris

First pen. My problem I had with the breaking apart while turning was a glue problem. The Ci type tool which I made with a carbide tip is the less aggressive one and works great. I just don't push it too hard.

So on with this question. How close to the bushing do I have to be after sanding and before finishing? Dead on or not quite down to the bushing?

Harris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If you are even with the bushings, you will be even with the pen parts.
That's what the bushings are for.

You don't HAVE to be even with the bushings .. but your pen doesn't have
to feel good in your hand, either.:tongue:

David M

as close as possable , sometimes if to small you can build it back up to correct size with alot of ca. but dead on most of the time ..... cheep caliper and check

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I guess it also depends on what and how thick your finish is going to be as well as how worn and accurate you bushes are.
Of course the end result should be that the blank is perfectly flush with the pen parts.

However....
There are some kits like the Sierra ( clip end) that have a round edge on the hardware where it meets the blank. Some folks leave the blank with the sharp edge but I think it looks much better if the blank is rounded on this edge.

Bobalu

There are some kits like the Sierra ( clip end) that have a round edge on the hardware where it meets the blank. Some folks leave the blank with the sharp edge but I think it looks much better if the blank is rounded on this edge.

Great tip. I never paid attention to that. Checked my Sierras and see that a slight radius on the top end of the clip end would make it a better looking pen. Thanks.

Bob in GA

mickr

PSI has a FREE DVD on penmaking..get it and many newbie questions will be answered

leehljp

Member Liaison
Another for "use calipers". Think of it like this - bump the chisel against the bushings when turning the blank to size. Bump it lightly over 20 pens and the bushing shoulder will become substantially smaller than it originally was. Sand the blank the final size and touch the bushing with the sandpaper. Do this over 20 pens or so, and the bushing shoulder will be substantially smaller than originally.

The chisel and sandpaper reduce the size of the bushing shoulder noticeably after 5 or 6 pens. So either continue to buy bushings, or use calipers. Bushings should be considered as consumables when using this technique. However, Turning between Centers (Mandrel-less) reduces that problem considerably by removing the bushings for final sizing with sandpaper. Even if the bushings are reduced in size, they still work if the measurements are determined by the calipers.

Rifleman1776

The response by Lee is right on.
Bushings should be considered disposable items. How many pens you get from a set will vary with the turner and his style of turning.
But, to answer your question: try making some pens without the blank matching the bushings and you will get your answer. The pens will be lousy. The bushings exist for a reason. After making one pen, you will see this for yourself.

Top Bottom