Do The Fountain Pen Kits Come With Ink?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kretzky

they usually come with either a sealed replacable cartridges (already filled with ink) so you don't need bottles of ink, or a refillable reservoir that's filled from an ink bottle. (that's what's shown in the link you posted).
Some people prefer one type of refilling over the other. Fountain pens aren't normally dipped in an inkwell (but they could be) kinda defeats the purpose though.
hope that helps

Last edited:

InvisibleMan

That's not a kit pen. It's a custom made beauty with a piston converter. I believe kits generally come with an ink cartridge and a converter though.

Last edited:

its_virgil

The ink cartridge that comes with the kit is not a good quality ink. I toss them and include a quality ink cartridge with the fountain pens I sell or gift. Fountain pen kits do include a cartridge and a converter.
Do ma good turn daily!
Don

jmbaker79

Some kits only include a cartridge, while others may come with a cartridge, and piston converter. As Don said, I trash them. Shame Really. I replace them with Private Reserve cartridges, or converters, etc...

azamiryou

The work of art in this thread:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/custom-lucite-antique-amber-104758/

it looks like the disassembled pen has an ink cartridge, instead of dipping the pen in an ink well?

just curious.

That pen has a "converter" piston pump for a reservoir, for use with bottled ink. Almost certainly, you can pull the converter off and put an ink cartridge on in its place to use cartridge ink rather than bottled ink.

Kit pens usually come with a converter and an ink cartridge. The ink in the cartridge is not very good, so if you are going to use cartridges, it's better to get some good cartridges.

By the way, a "dip pen" is an older style of pen than fountain pens. That's what you would dip in an ink well. It's basically just a nib and a holder for the nib, and you keep dipping as you write because the nib dosen't hold much ink. A fountain pen has a reservoir to hold a supply of ink, so you don't have to dip it.

titan2

The work of art in this thread:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/custom-lucite-antique-amber-104758/

it looks like the disassembled pen has an ink cartridge, instead of dipping the pen in an ink well?

just curious.

That pen has a "converter" piston pump for a reservoir, for use with bottled ink. Almost certainly, you can pull the converter off and put an ink cartridge on in its place to use cartridge ink rather than bottled ink.

Kit pens usually come with a converter and an ink cartridge. The ink in the cartridge is not very good, so if you are going to use cartridges, it's better to get some good cartridges.

By the way, a "dip pen" is an older style of pen than fountain pens. That's what you would dip in an ink well. It's basically just a nib and a holder for the nib, and you keep dipping as you write because the nib dosen't hold much ink. A fountain pen has a reservoir to hold a supply of ink, so you don't have to dip it.

ALSO, you don't want to use the ink that's made for dip pens in your fountain pens.....you'll really clog'em up and have to take it apart and thoroughly clean it. Beware.....

Barney

Top Bottom