DNS Phil Irons pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nativewooder

I got the paperwork from him but filed it in the "things that have to wait" folder which is somewhere around here. Seemed to be quite technical so I have to wait until I have the time and money both.

turbowagon

I bought a bunch of kits from Phil and am in progress of making my first dns-Twister pen (I'm waiting for a 13/32" collet to arrive that will hold the special tip mandrel).

Although I haven't finished a pen yet, I can already tell the twist mechanisms and clips are top notch. I was looking for very high-quality ballpoint and pencil components and these fit the bill. (The pencil twist mechanism is even spring-loaded and automatically returns). The pen twist mechanism is effortless and precise.

The complexity of turning a dns-Twister is much higher than a typical kit pen. Hopefully after making a few, I will come up with an efficient procedure that works for me. I even have an idea for JohnnyCNC to make some special bushings (once he's better) that might make the process simpler.

Positive impressions so far:
- best quality twist mechanisms and clips I've seen
- pencil mechanism is spring-loaded and returns back to initial position
- no bulky/heavy kit hardware
- finished result is unique and showcases the pen material
- Phil was a great guy to work with

Possible downsides for some:
- only available from overseas
- require special and expensive tooling (step drill alone was $35 after shipping and foreign currency fee)
- turning requires several complex steps, similar to kitless pens
- can't really use a mandrel or TBC bushings as one end of the tube is threaded
- CA finishing is more difficult due to joint where the nib unscrews

For me, these were a great choice because I wanted to create high-quality and unique pens and pencils, while challenging my skills. I'll post more info once I've finished a pen. Hope this helps.

- Joe

Last edited:
Top Bottom