Dissolving epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skip_Evans

Without thinking, I glued a white blank to a tube and did not paint the tube or blank. Is there a chemical I can soak this in, so the epoxy will release/dissolve?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Can you just drill the tube out and start over? I've done that several times when I used CA and it "stuck" before I got the tube seated properly.

JohnU

Ive had tubes pull out on accident because I had a little epoxy inside the tube and gotten them stuck on the mandrel. I heated the mandrel on both sides of the mandrel with a lighter and kept pulling on the blank. heating and pulling, heating and pulling, over and over until the blank came off the tube instead of the mandrel,. They were 7mm tubes and close to the mandrel. I dont know what size tube you have so how you heat it is up to you. Good Luck!

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
DNA worked for me, though it may take awhile. I had a bowl epoxied to a waste block after I had rough turned it a soaked it in DNA overnight as the first stage of drying it. The next day when I took it out the waste block had came off the bowl. Later I had a chance to try it on a pen blank. I epoxied a tube in the blank and went in the house while it set, when I came back out the tube had slid half way out of the blank. Threw it in some DNA and about a week later the glue had softened enough to push it all the way in. That was a wood blank so it might take longer with an acrylic and I don't know what the DNA would do to the blank.

kirkfranks

I have used heat also. If you have a barrel trimmer where the shaft is the same size as the tube you are using (no sleve) let it run for a few minutes so the shaft causes friction on the inside of the brass. If you don't have the proper size trimmer shaft you might get lucky fit with the HF punch set also.

Top Bottom